Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vq statesman 5 litre overheating

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
as long as it has flow there when you rev it your seeing if it can push the water!~
just clicked :)
no thermostat?
a thermostat allows the engine to reach temp quicker and then helps to maintain it by giving control over the temperature in the engine aswell as the radiator.
maybe its the issue of you engine isnt getting to recirculate ALL of the coolant inside it because its always gonna go the easiest path straight through your radiator
so one section in block say one or two cylinder water jackets in the block or head area wouldnt be flowing and getting too hot!~
try fitting a thermostat!~ but likei said previously normal to be a bit higher with these mods but should never go to red...

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
Yeah, it had a thermostat prior, but i removed it to see if it would solve the problem, but the problem is still there, im stumped for ideas..

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
hmmm
ill email you some other info to go through if it helps you i hope other wise your at the point of getting abigger fan and checking senders etc etc is it going to the red?

also the coolant temp sensor wont pick up correclty if no coolant in there, has your car always sat lower since mods before loss of coolant or overheating issue began

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
here it comes the full how to checklist is very in depth step 1 is replace radiator cap lol is the best i can do without seeing the fault!~

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
I just tested the thermostat in boiling hot water, and it didn't open, gonna get a new one and try that.

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
Yeah, the water temp has always sat low with the same mods it has now.

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
Yeah just read it then, only option left is radiator cap and thermostat.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
hmm there is alot there too check if not your radiator cap or theremostat (pretty cheap compared to your mods anyway)
i would go for a bigger fan or multi fan setup vz fans are long lasting and you just bridge to where your existng ones are but can need some tweaking to fit bu it sounds like your up to it!~
because at the end of the day if it aint going red its not damaging your motor!~ as long as theres no other leaks ;)

LOWPSI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ stato
Its not running thermo fans at the moment just the peice of **** off the water pump :)

I just put new radiator cap and thermostat in, and coolant, it goes just over half then drops just under half, think the temp guage might be shagged aswell cause if i hit the cluster it drops about a mm, how much pressure should there be because if i squeeze the top radiator hose its fairly tight.. i can hold my hand on the hose for about 20 seconds before it starts to get hot enough for me to let go....

Might get vz thermos from the wreckers then :) how do they mount up to the radiator? hard to do or straight fit?