Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ V8 statesman auto to manual conversion

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
I am asking this on behalf of a friend who has just done the conversion.

he has just converted a vq stato 5lt from auto to a manual. since the conversion it seems to be hunting at idle and revs iraticly and stalling every now and then.

the computer is it is running is still the auto computer.

Should it run the manual computer ??????

any other ideas of what may be causing the problems?????

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
correct me if im wrong, but i didnt think there was a difference in computers between manual and auto computers?.

it could just be coincidence, you havnt left a lead loose or something like that have you?

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
it is still just kickdown trans at that stage anyway, i wouldnt imagine the difference would be to much, if any.

vq rat

vq rat
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn bt1 burnout weapon
ECU are the same i did the conversion to my statesman when i had it, it sounds more like a air leak in the manifold or the stepper motor is out of spec or dirty, did he disconnect the battery if so he may need to reset the computer, or he may have damaged the distributor when he was fitting the gearbox check to see if the cap and wiring plug are ok , start the car and spray some aro start around the manifold and if it revs up then there is a leak or if there is a bit of a vacuum leak you may just hear it so have a bit of a listen to it to good luck man

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
so you can still use auto ecu and memcal when converting to a manual? dont need it retuned or anything? its the only thing ive been wondering as im gonna do the conversion soon

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
nope kneiver it can be used, ive heard off people that it does makes some hickups but never happened with the 2 ive done so far without changing the ecu/memcal.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
The computer does not need to be changed guys, i'm 100% on that - I converted my VQ from auto to manual just a couple of months ago.

Mine spluttered and choked a little when I first booted her up, but resetting the computer fixed that. Check adjustment on the throttle cable, and look for anything that was damaged during the conversion. I broke the hall effect sensor in my dizzy when I did mine :)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
3rd that the auto computer can be used. I''ve been using one for 5 years ;)

With the erratic idle, check the earth strap from the alternator, its just screwed into the body on mine, which i assume is a factory fit. With the twisting of the motor, it snaps it. I fixed that and my erratic idle stopped.