Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR- VQ statesman dash, interior conversion

Logan P

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn vp vq vr vs
I’m doing a up a 90 vq statesman series 1, and have recently brought a vr statesman to be a donor for the interior and dash. Has anyone done this conversion, or even just vr-vs to a vn-vp if so is there any pictures? What challenges were there with the dash and wiring loom?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I’m doing a up a 90 vq statesman series 1, and have recently brought a vr statesman to be a donor for the interior and dash. Has anyone done this conversion, or even just vr-vs to a vn-vp if so is there any pictures? What challenges were there with the dash and wiring loom?
You'll need to do a bit of research on this forum. This was a popular topic 15 or so years ago.
GMH changed the way the instrumentation worked between the VN/VP and VR/VS. A lot of components look the same between the two series but aren't interchangeable - they do things like burn out, catch on fire etc.

Logan P

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn vp vq vr vs
You'll need to do a bit of research on this forum. This was a popular topic 15 or so years ago.
GMH changed the way the instrumentation worked between the VN/VP and VR/VS. A lot of components look the same between the two series but aren't interchangeable - they do things like burn out, catch on fire etc.
Yeah I do know of this. Im thinking of more swapping the whole dash looms over completely with the dash. meant to ask if anyone has done the dash n loom swap and what challenges there are with doing so?

Logan P

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn vp vq vr vs
Yeah I do know of this. Im thinking of more swapping the whole dash looms over completely with the dash

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Yeah I do know of this. Im thinking of more swapping the whole dash looms over completely with the dash
You'll need to plan it carefully- things like the speedo input signal form are different signals between the two clusters. I can't recall anyone swapping over the complete dash and loom assemblies back in the days when this was a popular mod.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The HVAC box has to swapped over. Otherwise the VR dash vents don’t match up to the VQ dash vents from the HVAC

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good luck changing the dash harness. In the factory it was mounted as part of the cab module. It's not something you can just put your hand in and swap it out. Basically the cab needs to be separated from the rest of the body to get it out. Basically the only way to remove it is to cut the body open with a grinder or gas axe.
I know as I stripped a VR and got as much cable as I could for scrap value.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Good luck changing the dash harness. In the factory it was mounted as part of the cab module. It's not something you can just put your hand in and swap it out. Basically the cab needs to be separated from the rest of the body to get it out. Basically the only way to remove it is to cut the body open with a grinder or gas axe.
I know as I stripped a VR and got as much cable as I could for scrap value.
I remember back in the day , when blokes like 88GreenVN, discussed dash conversions , nobody suggested swapping the whole loom and dash over between a VP/VN and a VR/VS. It wont work anyway, the VP/VN and VR/VS dash control system input/output devices are different, have a look at this:
pcmhacking.net - View topic - VN Cluster