Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 5 Speed manual into VL

Banger05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 x VL exec's
Hi guys,
New to the forum, I've just come across two VL exec's with the RB30 and auto boxes. I have a VR V6 ute with a 5 speed in it. Has anyone installed these boxes into a VL ?? Also instead of trying to source a Turbo diff centre and axles can I be doing something with the diff out of the VR ?

Thanks in advance

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Gearbox needs an adapter and a bunch of other custom stuff, not worth the time or effort when multiple variants of RB boxes are plentiful enough (RB25 box would be far superior anyway). The diff will bolt straight in but it will be a few centimeters longer, doesn't sound like much but you may need to use different wheels.

Banger05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 x VL exec's
Gearbox needs an adapter and a bunch of other custom stuff, not worth the time or effort when multiple variants of RB boxes are plentiful enough (RB25 box would be far superior anyway). The diff will bolt straight in but it will be a few centimeters longer, doesn't sound like much but you may need to use different wheels.

Thanks for that, appreciate the info. Was thinking of putting a group c flare kit on so that might help with the wider diff. I’m guessing there strong enough to handle the rb30 if I turbo it ?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Flare kit will only help if you cut or pump the guards out substantially, if you just put the flairs on and don't change any of the body work it will still foul. Easier just to get wheels with a width/offset that matches. The RB25DET box is a better version of the RB30ET box. RB25DE will just be the same as an RB20/RB30E box. I'm sure somebody on CalaisTurbo will have done the conversion, you'll likely need a new tail shaft unless you get an RB30ET box and tailshaft together.