Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Acclaim - door pin removal with tool

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
With your pin kit it comes with 3 size rod you can use, the middle one is what you want to use.
Correct the pin head will push into the rubber wiring harness. You use the notched out end of the tool on the pin head and tap the bar/tool with a hammer, keep peeling the rubber back as you go, bit of a pain but on to bad to work with.
Thanks for this - see what you mean... I've got some aluminum tape that I could put behind the pin - that might work.

In the meantime it was suggested it could be the door strap spring (?) at the front - the sound seems to be coming from the rear but it's not easy to pick. I put some of the alu tape on the striker loop to try to tighten the striker mechanism before but it hasn't made any real difference. - tried it a while ago and it didn't do much then. I just found a good video on the strap spring so maybe I need to take the door cover off again. Odd this - my car is now 30 years old and was originally owned by a couple in a country area but it has almost no rattles or squeaks even on rough roads...

Thanks a lot for the photo - it helps.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Remove the pin to the check strap that will give you more room to punch it out. I did mine and it literally took 10 mins.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you need a new check strap use a passenger side one. It won't be worn out.

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Remove the pin to the check strap that will give you more room to punch it out. I did mine and it literally took 10 mins.
Thanks for that - but you had to pull the door cover off to do it? 10 minutes is really quick..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No just pull the pin where it meets the body. You will need to pull the trim to replace the check strap. That will take another 10 minutes

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
No just pull the pin where it meets the body. You will need to pull the trim to replace the check strap. That will take another 10 minutes
Ok - good! I found this new video on the door trim - didn't realise you could take it off without taking off the vent module...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Getting those vents off is very easy though. I've mastered it. It take less five minutes. Just don't prise them of with a screw driver or they will get damaged.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Getting those vents off is very easy though. I've mastered it. It take less five minutes. Just don't prise them of with a screw driver or they will get damaged.

Yes there's certainly an art to doing this job so as to not butcher all the plastic componentry. As far as the red / orange lock snib insert removal is concerned, this guy clearly has no idea as there is a recess on the RH side of the red insert where you have to use a specially made up tool which has a right angled tip that's small enough to get between the bezel and the lock snib so you can pull the insert out.

Also getting the vents out is also requires a well trained technique so as not to mark all the painted plastic ware which you'll always see on cars that have been messed with by amateurs.

Attachments

• VN~VS Lock knob tool.png
    VN~VS Lock knob tool.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 31

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes there's certainly an art to doing this job so as to not butcher all the plastic componentry. As far as the red / orange lock snib insert removal is concerned, this guy clearly has no idea as there is a recess on the RH side of the red insert where you have to use a specially made up tool which has a right angled tip that's small enough to get between the bezel and the lock snib so you can pull the insert out.

Also getting the vents out is also requires a well trained technique so as not to mark all the painted plastic ware which you'll always see on cars that have been messed with by amateurs.
I use a plastic trim tool and can do it easily without marking the paint. I have seen others damage them including wreckers. It's definitely in the technique.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I use a plastic trim tool and can do it easily without marking the paint. I have seen others damage them including wreckers. It's definitely in the technique.

Spot On !!