Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr auto gearbox help

turbo_et

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore
hi I have a vr auto commodore it changes gear fine but when you floor it it seems like it slips or cant hold gear put oil in it sill doing it any ideas what it could be

corey89

Reaction score
Members Ride
95vs ss manual
So when you say it slips, do you mean it will over rev when you floor it? Are there any leaks from the box? My Mrs car was doing what you described, end up being from a leak around the box pan, fixed the leak and its good now but you could have damaged something in the process of flooring it or torque converter could be stuffed..

turbo_et

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore
yer it will over rev when floored

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Sounds like you need to replace the box. Cheapest and easiest way to fix it.

What colour is the fluid? Does it smell burnt (different to new fluid)?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Depends, does it do this on a particular kickback? i.e. 3 back to 2? Or all drop backs?

I thought my beastie had finally cooked the trans a few weeks back as it was flaring on 3-2 kickdowns, but I pushed ahead and slapped a billet second gear servo in to finish it off in style and what I found was the teflon seals on the second apply piston were almost gone, so the brake band got to have a nice slip before it would anchor. Once I slapped the new puppy in with new seals, the problem was gone.