Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Auto to Manual Conversion

W

whisky

I just bought a conversion kit for my VR Auto which included, T5 Manual, flywheel. clutch, clutch cable, pedal box, tailshaft and the surrounds.... but basically missing the computer and wiring harness... and I am just wondering if anyone knows any way around to keep the auto pcm or if they know of anyone with a VR Manual computer plus wiring harness because I am getting desperate.... idling high and it still trying to go coming back down the gears is starting to piss me off and also having to trick the pcm into thinking it's in park or neutral to start it is pissing me off to and the no speedo is going to get me a ticket soon enough.... i'm losing my mind..... can anyone help...

cheers

stheggie

Reaction score
I think this has been covered before on this forum, or maybe on the forums at www.vncommodore.com - i think the trick with the starting is there is a switch on the tbar? you have to short it out. So the computer thinks its in park or something. Maybe im wrong? lol

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
I think it was regarding VS conversions, my understanding of which is that the ECU for auto and manual VS 3.8's are the same. The VR however im sure is different, but the details im not sure about.

Mike

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
The auto & manual VR & VSs run totally different speed sensors that aren't compatible with the other type of computer.

The T-bar mod only does the reverse lights & inhibitor switch.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
There is an easy way, i can do a modified memcal (chip) for this conversion that allows the use of the auto pcm & wiring harness with a manual trans.
available anytime cost $180 changeover, pm me for details.

Rob

D

davo

So where did you buy the kit? how much?

And why didnt they tell you about the loom / ecu implications?

W

whisky

they said they would look for one..... but I didn't realise it would be so damn hard.... I started ringing around and couldn't find anything at all...

my only option in the end was to give chiptorque a call and see what they could do.... they where going to clear the auto codes or something and put a HP2 chip in aswell for $570.... was going to do that this weekend... but now that rob has said this I am trying to get ahold of him asap....

and the conversion cost me $1100... for the box, starter, flywheel, clutch kit, clutch cable, crossmember, gearstick and all the rubber surrounds and the plastic surround....... uhm... can't think of anything else...

$200 for the new clutch kit.
$33 for the machining of the flywheel.
carton of rum & cola for my girlfriend's dad letting me use his mechanic shop and the oil and **** I used.

and now this memcal for $180...

so 1513 all up

if you read this rob, please get ahold of me asap.... I left you an e-mail and private message...

Heh, i'm a bit desperate :)

D

davo

Hows it going??? Did u try the memcal trip

How are the ol thrust bearings holding up? no bang bang tinkle tinkle??

D

davo

C'mon ppl!!

This guy has converted from an Auto to a Manual for 500 bucks less than reco Auto swapover!

I would thought this thread would have a million posts in it by now!

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Jobs done .... im sure whisky will post soon

Rob