Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Berlina Problems Please Help

G

Gold_VR_Berlina

Hey Everyone

I have a VR Berlina on gas, when i'm driving on gas and i stop the car and put it in park the revs drop too much, to 1/2, and the car turns off. why is this happening.

also when i start to accelerate the trip computer tells me that i am using 99 L\100KM this then goes down to 88 and 76 and then around about normal. this is the same when i come to a stop. also the lowest milage shown on the trip computer is abdou 2.8L\100km when it used to be 1.7L=100km wats this about.

Also if there is anyone else with gas is there supposed to be loud zapping type noises coming from under the hood when u turn the ignition with out cranking the engine. its comming from these two cable like things.

thanks for your help.

D

dumpd6

i dunno if this is the same problem but my mate has a el falcon an i cant remember exactly when it does it but when i think its its hot the bushes on the distributor go soft or smoe **** like that and the distributor moves around causing it to idle under the 1000rpm mark and most of the time stall this all so only happens when it is onn gas this happened because of it being all electronic it fucked with the timing and the computer couldnt adjust it because of it all ways moving

i wasnt listening to him when he was saying it but i remember him saying some thing like that

this might be a jump start to some one else who knows a bit more than me

D

death-from-above

Gday mate,
I have a VL on gas and just bought a VS Berlina on gas, I have never heard of a zapping under the bonnet before. Dual fuel cars are deisnged to start with petrol because of its lubricating properties. It might have something to do with that. Are the two cable like things actually brass pipes that are your fuel lines by any chance?

I think the main reason for your revs droppping off is your mixtures. Just go to your local LPG fitter/repairer and get the mixtures adjusted. If that doesnt solve the problem atleast it will run better. My VL used to die when it was under 2000rpm, thus i was constantly changing from gas to petrol when under 40km/h.

If you ever experience the air filter box lid blowing off then i assure this is normal, sounds weird i know but happens with lots of dual fuel cars. One way to prevent this is to get what was described to me as a "sock" that takes the backwards pressure so as not to do damage to the AFM or air intake.

As I only just bought my VS I have knowledge as to the trip computer, maybe someone else can lend a hand.

dale

holdenlover

Reaction score
As far as the instant fuel usage on your computer goes, the 99L/100KLM is normal when standing still or beginning to accelerate.

1. Because if you are just sitting there idling and the vehicle is not moving the computer estimates the most fuel usage per 100klms. (Normal)
and 2. When accelerating, it simply needs time to adjust.

The average fuel consumption, which is what I assume you’re saying here
QUOTE the lowest mileage shown on the trip computer is about 2.8L\100km when it used to be 1.7L=100km
is another story. If your freeway/city driving have not changed a lot, then this readout is definitely indicating a problem.........sorry.

G

Gold_VR_Berlina

Thanks everyone

with the 1.7L\ 100km thats the instant rate. i guess im gonna have to take it to the autioelectrician and the gas guy again. thanks again.

D

djmcl3

Mate,
take no notice of your trip computer when running on gas. Your inst and ave fuel consumpt. is based on many parameters including pulse width of your injectors, throttle pos and the like. All you can still use is distance travelled and time. Other variables will only correspoind to your driving with petrol.

The ticking noises may just be relays ticking over to open the gas solenoid and allow ignition to take place.

A solution to the air box explosion is to run the best leads money can buy and shortening your plug gap to around 1mm. Your gas economy may drop a little but saves possible destruction of induction components ie MAP sensor or even blown collant lines. The spark is less volatile and the duration is much shorter, preventing an explosion back up you intake track when an inlet value opens.

My VS Berlina running gas hasn't missed a beat since.

Regards

Dave