Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR blower fan

chook350

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s3
Hey, ive done some search work and found a few bits and peices but id really like to know which way to go about this.

Vr wagon, no blower fan/heater fan whatever you want to call it doesnt work at all, tryed new switch from my old ute still nothing, being stuck at home with bugger all tools i found a peice of wire and bridged term 30 and 87 on the relay block named blower and the fan roared into life. does this sound like a resistor issue or something else?

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Sounds like a relay issue. If you removed the relay and it worked try swapping it for another relay under there. I think the horn relay is the same

chook350

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s3
ive tryed a few diffrent relays, low beam, high beam, fuel pump. they are all set up the same, 30 is batt 12v 87 is the object you want powered and the other 2 85 and 86 operate a magnetic switch used to bridge 30 and 87

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Check your earths. The other thing ive heard is that maybe the coolant temp sensor is buggered. To check take the connector off of the sensor(below the alternator. The multi wire one. The single wire is the dash gauge.) If the system is working correctly the fan should automatically kick in after a couple of seconds. The other method is to check for engine codes. Use the link in my sig to bridge pins 5&6 and the fan should come on

chook350

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s3
coolant temp sender????? i should make it abit clearer, im talkin about the interior fan, blower fan, heater fan, the 1234 fan.

Dont Punch Rocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS s3 s pac ute + v6 s2 calais sc6
I came across the same problem in my vs i ended up tracing it back to the earth wire on my ignition relay, no idea why it didn't cause any other problems.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well if its your climate fan, then it may be the resistor block under the plastic below the windscreen. Ive heard that 1&2 resistor has a habit of blowing. Not sure about the 3&4 one tho. Sorry for the wrong info but when you said blower fan i immediately thought of the thermo fan on the back of the radiator

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
Hey, ive done some search work and found a few bits and peices but id really like to know which way to go about this.

Vr wagon, no blower fan/heater fan whatever you want to call it doesnt work at all, tryed new switch from my old ute still nothing, being stuck at home with bugger all tools i found a peice of wire and bridged term 30 and 87 on the relay block named blower and the fan roared into life. does this sound like a resistor issue or something else?

Well if it worked on speeds 3+4 & only 1+2 were out I suggest doing this :- VP-S > Replace the blower fan resistor which will fix speeds 1+2. If it's all 4 speeds then replace the relay only after checking with your DMM that the fuse/relay holder is ok, as it can melt over time around the blower fan switch holder due to bad earths. Check all the fuses throughout your vehicle, although it does sound like the actual fuse/relay holder is unstable.

Last edited:

chook350

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s3
Afternoon all. Problem is somewhat kind of fixed, ive found that there is no power going to the fuse, fuse number 9 underneath the steering colum. bit puzzled as to why. thanks for the help guys