Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR brakes are sticky!! :( overhaul is order??

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
hey i have just bought a VR and am just staring to find all the little bits and peices that needs fixing and repairing ect NOW...

I have noticed that the front brakes and "sticky" and when i apply brake force and release it seams to stay about 25% active and the piston wont fully retract into the calipar. Will just a good flush and clean fix this? or am i better off just replacing with some "overhauled swap jobs??"
i'm only a 1st year mechanic so funds are low at the moment.

(Ie. a good drenching of brake cleaner and wire brush clean and a bleed?)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id either put an overhaul kit through the rear calipers or get exchange ones.(depending on the cost).It could even help just removing the calipers and pushing the caliper pistons back fully home again.Also totally replace the brake fluid front and rear.

phat_com

Reaction score
Members Ride
its the front brakes that are sticking though not the rears. Yea i have a full service and fluid flush planned :) Its good being a mechanic, just have to tell the boss i'm staying back and workin on my car and i have everything ready for me...plus its all mercedes benz stuff so its all "top notch" :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
its the front brakes that are sticking though not the rears. Yea i have a full service and fluid flush planned :) Its good being a mechanic, just have to tell the boss i'm staying back and workin on my car and i have everything ready for me...plus its all mercedes benz stuff so its all "top notch" :)

yeah I meant the front calipers,not the rears sorry...

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I would order new seal kits for them and then pull them apart so you can give them a good cleanup. The pistons can start to rust if the fluid hasnt been changed regularly which will make them jam in their bores. Use fine wet and dry or steel wool to clean the rust off after you have washed them with metho. Seal kits are cheap as, compared to buying recoed calipers

phat_com

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would order new seal kits for them and then pull them apart so you can give them a good cleanup. The pistons can start to rust if the fluid hasnt been changed regularly which will make them jam in their bores. Use fine wet and dry or steel wool to clean the rust off after you have washed them with metho. Seal kits are cheap as, compared to buying recoed calipers
Yea cheers thats what i was after a cheaper way to do it :)

How hard are VT brakes to fit? will they fit front and rear without any mods? I know of a front ended Vt with cheap as chips prices on parts :)

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
ive never seen a piston fully retract after brake force is applied. could be the sliders between the caliper and the mounting bracket. clean them up and use high temp anti sieze and they are good as new

phat_com

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok cool :) i'll try that. I recon my pads are stuffed anyway but chris (mate who owned vr before me) said the pads are almost new! the pads "meat" is as thick as the backing plate, how this are they new?

used to mercedes pads that are almost 22mm thick with backing plate!