Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr bt1 ecu

vs hay hauler

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
I tryed to put a standard ecu into a bt1 pack commodore, the problem i am having is the plug fitting on the bt1 ecu is different than the standard has a metal plug fitting in the ecu they wont interchange. i have opened the standard one up and it may be possible to change the plug fitting over.
has any one had this problem before or changed the ecu female plugs?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
BT1 ecu is a RFI shielded ecu. Just out of curiosity why do you want to swap ecus?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The ECU sockets are soldered to the board in the ECU so swapping them would be very difficult unless you have a really good soldering station and are very experienced at soldering electronics. You could cut the RFI type plugs off ,and resolder the normal plugs back to the wiring harness. If you do this, make sure to use heatshrink tube over the soldered joints, just dont tape them, tape wont keep the soldered join airtight,this can cause the join to corrode and you end up with bad connections.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
You could cut the RFI type plugs off ,and resolder the normal plugs back to the wiring harness.

I would avoid soldering the wires to make the connection at all costs, all the sensors feed the ECu with 5V for their function with small millivolts of fluctuations the computer makes adjustments on the run, solder will increase the resistance, lowering the volts of signals received by the ECU.

I believe you can remove the lug that locates the harness connector, inside the connector to make it fit but I have never tried it.

Computers are cheap, IMO get the right one for it.

Parraeels101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
I'd get the correct BT1 ecu, so then you get the cop chip as well :rofl2:

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd get the correct BT1 ecu, so then you get the cop chip as well :rofl2:

You can't have the cop chip if your on your P's as it pushes the car beyond the 200kw limit.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Double Post

vs hay hauler

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
The car has some sort of electronic gremlin with engine light coming off and on. car runs fine with engine light on and misses and flares slightly when its off.
maybe the computer??? has error codes of 41,59 and 72 have replaced ignition module , distributor and a speed sensor on the side of the gear box.
Has now got me stumped and i am starting to run out ideas, all help much appreciated.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I would avoid soldering the wires to make the connection at all costs, all the sensors feed the ECu with 5V for their function with small millivolts of fluctuations the computer makes adjustments on the run, solder will increase the resistance, lowering the volts of signals received by the ECU.

Solder increases the resistance ?? I had better scrape off all the solder on the circuit board as well.....

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
The tracks aren't made from your usual lead based solder.