Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Calais nightmare

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
**** 55 an hour would be awesome, thats heaps more then i'm getting now. One of my mates went up to Queensland to work at the mines, but I haven't seen or spoken to him since. I have heard that you can fly around the country to work at the mines, one of my cousins did that when he used to live in Darwin, I think he stopped doing that now, not sure, but now he lives in Ballarat now.

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
yeah mate sounds suss, i hate dealing with second hand stuff we deal with transmissions and would much rather the customer rbuild it rather than secondhand, most wreckers give 3months warranty but 90% of the time my old man ends up getting the job as a rebuild, its just pot luck really might get 10good and 2 or 3 bad, i know what you mean about oil leaks putting an engine in with a leaky rear main, heck its only 5mins work when the engines out or a couple of hr job if you have to pull the trans out to repair it.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
don't worry bout it, **** happens, i've had brand new parts fail so its not suprising a second hand motor had problems. as for your boss, smile do as he askes and the day your qualified hand in your resignation and watch his face :( as we all know good mechanics are hard to come by so replacing you is going to take some time and effort.

Sad to hear you have a **** boss but there are alot out there, just remember you are getting paid by the hour wether you are getting your hands dirty or standing there listening to his ****, maybe remind him of that lol.
Don't resign, go around and find new jobs, apply for as many as you can and when you have a good offer have a mate ring your boss for a reference and state along the lines of "we pay top dollar for employees like this" works even better if you are on holidays when it happens, further more if he sacks you it is worth more to you than just walking out with no notice.

stuntmanmike

Car wotsit & stuff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 V6 Auto / VS BT1 5.0 / VY SV8
Career in Mining/Oil & Gas?

Hi superchargedvs6,
You sound switched on from your posts and it looks like you have aptitude and are self motivated with some good developing skills. These are very good qualities that should be nurtured by an employer.
Have you considered working for the Mining industry or the Oil and Gas industry? The pay is great and the opportunities are fantastic for someone like you. Who knows, you could move up the ladder if you find yourself liking the industry and the culture and stick it out for a number of years.

I once had a boss like yours and he begged me to stay when I resigned at the end of my apprenticeship. When I declined the pay rise and promotion he just told me that I'd never succeed at anything. What a SOB.
The thing was: I liked the job and the people I worked with. It all went sour when my boss accused me unfairly of someone elses stuff up. I didn't even get an apology afterwards when it was found out that another employee made the mistake and I hated the pri*k ever since. This boss would guilt me for taking annual leave and treated me like the dirt under his shoe. It's just not worth it to put up with that cr@p and it's hard to learn from someone that takes shortcuts instead of doing things once and properly.
Good on ya for your positive/keen attitude and keep up the quality work.

Last edited:

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Thanks guys, I didn't think anyone would actually about what I wrote in the first post, so i'm surprised with the responses.

I didn't get to work on the car at all today. I had to service a Holden Rodeo, then a VS Commodore came in on a tow truck and it had a really bad miss in it, I found that one of the coils was faulty, then I had to check a BF Falcon for a really bad noise underneath the car (also service and tune up), turned out to be the owner has run over something and bent a link pin and a bracket that holds the sway bar and I also found that some ****head put the sway bar on upside down so the rack is rubbing on the sway bar.

Anyway, hopefully ill get to finish the VR Calais tomorrow and ill let everyone know how it comes up.

As for looking for another job, I wont be able to now until I pay back the company for the engine i just bought and all the parts for it I need, plus of course I need to finish my apprenticeship.