Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Commodore Fuel Guage

CameronTom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive v6
Hey,
Having a problem with my fuel guage;
sometimes when I get in and start the car up the fuel guage will have a reading/work but other times it wont even get a reading at all.

any idea what I can have a look at to fix this up.

Thanks,
Cam :)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Had a similar problem with my wife's VS Clubsport. Just had to tap on the glass in front of the gauge (note spelling) a few times to get it working. Can't remember how often that happened, but the problem hasn't reappeared for the last four years.

CameronTom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive v6
Had a similar problem with my wife's VS Clubsport. Just had to tap on the glass in front of the gauge (note spelling) a few times to get it working. Can't remember how often that happened, but the problem hasn't reappeared for the last four years.
okay, thank you i will try that out.
hopefully that will get my gauge* working

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Theres a couple small voltage regulator inside the dash cluster that controls various gauges. The solder joints on the printer circuit boards crack after years of travel in a car. Its a pretty simple fix, open up the cluster and re-solder the board. Mine did the same thing, did that and viola, all sorted.
Pretty sure there is a how-to on here to assist.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Heh mine requires a decent whack on the top of the dash to bring it up sometimes - same with the temp gauge. But in my case I think the gauge's lubrication has gone a bit gummy, as they never drop down again once they're up. Speedo does it too occasionally but less often.