Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR commodore manual keeps stalling

Neigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore
Hey guys I have a 1993 vr commodore berlina manual with v6 Buick it’s been giving me the biggest headache every lol
so I was driving and al of a sudden it just lose power and stall I would start it back up drive for 2 minutes and it would happen again I ended up getting it home and straight away changed the CAS witch is quite a common problem but unfortunately for me it didn’t fix it so then I changed the DFI plate still no change after turning it on in 10 minutes it just cuts out ! So next step was to change the fuel pump even though the one in there was purchased less then a year ago and while I was at it changed the fuel filter I started it and it and it ran for 15 minutes in the driveway so I took it up to the servo and put fuel in it I was like bingo I have solved the problem but just my luck nope on the way home it did it again I sat on the side of the road and waited 15 minutes for everything to cool down and started her back up and kept losing power and staling all the way home again ‍♀️ so yesterday a mate came over he told me it had to be the CAS and the one that I purchased was probably faulty/already dead so I got another CAS and of course it wasn’t the proplem so while I was at it I changed the oil pressure switch so yer no luck and yes I have changed all the fusses and relays has anyone ever had this problem I keep reading forums and anything that sounds similar I read and change that part but now I’m out of ideas please help thankyou sorry for the long rant and if it doesn’t make sense I apologise I’m a bit dyslexic and p.s sometimes the idle is high

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Did you use thermal paste under the DFI module?

It could also possibly be the cam sensor. The VR was the first model to use this sensor as the EFI runs split batch fire fuel injection.

Also make sure all the plugs are clean and tight for the CAS Cam sensor and DFI module.

Neigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore
Hi all. Been pushing spanners since 1988, Hardly a genius but if I can help I will be happy to do so. Worked on FJ through to VE, also Aston Martin through to Rolls Royce so may be useful to someone somewhere. Also can help with 787 aeroplanes and Middleby Marshall/Lincoln commercial pizza ovens... I'm sure that will be handy...
PS Andrew FWIW
Hey guys I have a 1993 vr commodore berlina manual it’s been giving me the biggest headache every lol
so I was driving and al of a sudden it just lose power and stall I would start it back up drive for 2 minutes and it would happen again I ended up getting it home and straight away changed the CAS witch is quite a common problem but unfortunately for me it didn’t fix it so then I changed the DFI plate still no change after turning it on in 10 minutes it just cuts out ! So next step was to change the fuel pump even though the one in there was purchased less then a year ago and while I was at it changed the fuel filter I started it and it and it ran for 15 minutes in the driveway so I took it up to the servo and put fuel in it I was like bingo I have solved the problem but just my luck nope on the way home it did it again I sat on the side of the road and waited 15 minutes for everything to cool down and started her back up and kept losing power and staling all the way home again ‍♀️ so yesterday a mate came over he told me it had to be the CAS and the one that I purchased was probably faulty/already dead so I got another CAS and of course it wasn’t the proplem so while I was at it I changed the oil pressure switch so yer no luck and yes I have changed all the fusses and relays has anyone ever had this problem I keep reading forums and anything that sounds similar I read and change that part but now I’m out of ideas please help thankyou sorry for the long rant and if it doesn’t make sense I apologise I’m a bit dyslexic

Pomandrew

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS VE Berlina VF Comm
haha.. you should get pleasure from an XJS Jag then ;)
Hey guys I have a 1993 vr commodore berlina manual it’s been giving me the biggest headache every lol
so I was driving and al of a sudden it just lose power and stall I would start it back up drive for 2 minutes and it would happen again I ended up getting it home and straight away changed the CAS witch is quite a common problem but unfortunately for me it didn’t fix it so then I changed the DFI plate still no change after turning it on in 10 minutes it just cuts out ! So next step was to change the fuel pump even though the one in there was purchased less then a year ago and while I was at it changed the fuel filter I started it and it and it ran for 15 minutes in the driveway so I took it up to the servo and put fuel in it I was like bingo I have solved the problem but just my luck nope on the way home it did it again I sat on the side of the road and waited 15 minutes for everything to cool down and started her back up and kept losing power and staling all the way home again ‍♀️ so yesterday a mate came over he told me it had to be the CAS and the one that I purchased was probably faulty/already dead so I got another CAS and of course it wasn’t the proplem so while I was at it I changed the oil pressure switch so yer no luck and yes I have changed all the fusses and relays has anyone ever had this problem I keep reading forums and anything that sounds similar I read and change that part but now I’m out of ideas please help thankyou sorry for the long rant and if it doesn’t make sense I apologise I’m a bit dyslexic
Hmm. CAS would have been my first thought too. Possibly fuel vapour lock, check the regulator and fuel return line. Just a thought.

Neigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore
Hmm. CAS would have been my first thought too. Possibly fuel vapour lock, check the regulator and fuel return line. Just a thought.
Nothing was coming out of the fuel return what could that mean

Pomandrew

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS VE Berlina VF Comm
Nothing was coming out of the fuel return what could that mean
No fuel circulation so the fuel is likely boiling in the lines. Check the vacuum line to the reg and make sure the diaphragm in the reg holds vacuum

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Is there fuel pressure?

Neigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore
No fuel circulation so the fuel is likely boiling in the lines. Check the vacuum line to the reg and make sure the diaphragm in the reg holds vacuum
I’ll do that and get back to you

Neigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr commodore
No I can’t hear the pump priming now as of today but have brought two new ones so I doubt it is the fuel pump it’s self
How do I check that sorry to be a pain mate