Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Commodore - Random Stalling

69HKPREMIER

Reaction score
Members Ride
1969 HK Holden Premier, 1998 VS S S3 Ute
My Wifes VR Auto has stalled twice today.

The first time she was doing 50kph and the engine cut out, no coughing or spluttering, just dead.
It then wouldn't start for a few minutes but was cranking.

The second time she was doing 60kph and again the engine cut out.
This time, once she pulled over, it started without hesitation.

Both times 3 lights on the dash came up, one of them being the engine light.

She has also said it generally seems a little down on power, but runs smooth.

I'm thinking it ran out of spark, but I'm no expert by a long shot, could it possibly be the fuel pump or ECU?

Before I start spending money on things that don't need to be fixed, I thought I would ask here, if anyone has had a similar experience or someone could help me troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks in advance.

69HKPREMIER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Will do, when do they reset? should it still show any codes that were thrown yesterday?

Maxmadmat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina Wagon 3.8 & VS Sedan Manual 3.8
Your codes will still be there, unless you disconnect the battery or pull the wrong fuse out :)

69HKPREMIER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Checked 3 times and got

Code 12 - System Pass (OK)
Code 46 - No Reference Signals while cranking
Code 47 - Crank Angle Reference Signal

69HKPREMIER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Will do, these seem to be about $35 on ebay, but in a few tutorials for changing it, they suggest they are around $70 to $130
What is wrong with This?

And sorry I didn't check the codes to begin with, but I was convinced it would only throw a 12, as it's the only code I have seen come from the car even when there was obvious issues.

KrisG

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VSII Berlina
Will do, these seem to be about $35 on ebay, but in a few tutorials for changing it, they suggest they are around $70 to $130
What is wrong with This?

And sorry I didn't check the codes to begin with, but I was convinced it would only throw a 12, as it's the only code I have seen come from the car even when there was obvious issues.

You'll find in some cases there will be no codes logged even if there is a known fault. I had no codes thrown at me when my CAS was playing up as you described, replaced it and it's been fine ever since.

Genuine GM crank angle sensors go for around the $70 mark at Holden. The Delphi sensor should be fine, I always thought they supplied GM with this kind of stuff, so they'd be the same.

smoknvr:)

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim
could also be your ignition switch behind the ignition barrel my vr would stall wile in gear sometimes and replaced it my self and have had no issues since i did.

69HKPREMIER

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have changed the CAS now, about to take it for a test drive and hope the issue is fixed!
seemed to idle a little smoother (may be imagining things), but will know more after a test drive.

I did notice the existing CAS had metal flakes stuck all over it... I assume this may have been interfering with it (as it is magnetic).