Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Computer?

Torniquet

Reaction score
Gday guys, i was playing around with a car from work for about an hr or so (just got home).

its a VS commo V6, and basically it wont start. It has spark, heaps of fuel pressure. It has injection pulse. whilst cranking the car backfires and carries on.

i only had a quick look at it before i left to come home. But no1 else could figure the problem out. the apprentice told me it had spark, fuel pressure and injection pulse. WHen i checked them all over again i noticed the injection pulse was all over the place?..sometimes it would have it and other times it wouldnt..when using the noid test light i noticed sometimes the pulse would be realli quick then it would slow right back down. has anyone else noticed this before?..

i used a test coilpack and dfi module, and the cas is good.

any ideas?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
ECU probably. Do you have another one to put in and try?

Torniquet

Reaction score
apparently one of the boys did try another computer and it didnt help.

too me it does sound like ecu. but apparently not..

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
So you can hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key and there is a signal at the injectors?

Torniquet

Reaction score
fuel pump is priming. put the fuel flow + pressure gauge on it and its all good.

the injectors do have a signal, but as i said its not a consistent signal. the speed of the signal whilst cranking changes..fast to slow..and sometimes not there at all

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If it wasn't sparking does the ECU interrupt the injector pulse?

Oil pressure sender maybe, that is linked to the fuel pump circuit. Worth a try.

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
the injection gets its pulses from the dfi module and cas ide be thinking its something to do with them or the balancer has moved on the keyway or is just knackered and not timed right youll still get spark but at the wrong time and intermitant injector pulses

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
the ecu doesnt control spark at crank its just the dfi spitting out 10 degrees of timing advance to the plugs

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Thats sort of what I was thinking. If the DFI didn't fire, the injectors wouldn't pulse or they would be intermittent.

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
but I now read its a vs dont they have a camshaft sensor as well for sequential injection could be the culprit