Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr cranks but takes awhile to fire

SUSVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S PAC
Would a fuel pump really cause my car to chew fuel and lack power? It runs fine once I get it going but it's gutless , I'm lucky to get 250 to a tank when I baby it

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
O2 sensors could cause high fuel use

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Would a fuel pump really cause my car to chew fuel and lack power? It runs fine once I get it going but it's gutless , I'm lucky to get 250 to a tank when I baby it

If your fuel pump is on its way out, and is still running but has lost some of its pressure, then the low fuel pressure will cause the engine to run crook which will in turn make it use more fuel.. The injectors need to have their fuel supply delivered within a certain pressure range, and if the delivery pressure is too low, the squirt of fuel thats injected will not atomise properly, so the fuel will not mix with the incoming air properly, resulting in an incomplete burn, which results in crook running and lack of fuel economy etc. A half blocked fuel filter can cause similar problems. So can old or dirty injectors, when they get dirty they dont spray a fine atomised mist, they squirt big droplets instead, which doesnt mix with the incoming air anywhere near as readily or completely as it does when its a fine mist.

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Ive been having the exact same issue. Just changed plugs, no improvement.

I'm starting to think it's a fuel issue as when i turn the key half way and the fuel pump primes before actually starting, i believe it doesn't take as long to fire up.

I changed the fuel filter about a year ago so i'm now leaning towards the fuel pump.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive been having the exact same issue. Just changed plugs, no improvement.

I'm starting to think it's a fuel issue as when i turn the key half way and the fuel pump primes before actually starting, i believe it doesn't take as long to fire up.

I changed the fuel filter about a year ago so i'm now leaning towards the fuel pump.

If you changed the fuel filter a year ago,then its probably nearly blocked and needs replacing. I replace mine at every oil change-every 5000 km, and for around $10 and 10 minutes of your time, why would you not, anyway my filters have already started to get a fair bit of dirt in them after just 5000 km, so Id hate to leave one on there for a year and see how much dirt its collected. I dont ever drive on dirt roads either, so the dirts gotta come from the fuel we buy.

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Wow, my mechanic tells me they need changing every 20,000k's.

OK, i will change the filter in that case. Thanks for your help!

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
If you changed the fuel filter a year ago,then its probably nearly blocked and needs replacing. I replace mine at every oil change-every 5000 km, and for around $10 and 10 minutes of your time, why would you not, anyway my filters have already started to get a fair bit of dirt in them after just 5000 km, so Id hate to leave one on there for a year and see how much dirt its collected. I dont ever drive on dirt roads either, so the dirts gotta come from the fuel we buy.

Really?? Crap, I did mine once, at 240,000km, when the fuel pump died. 1 and only time...

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah, when I remove my old filters, I always check to see what dirt theyve collected by tipping the fuel out of the filter, from the fuel inlet side, into a clean icecream or margarine container. I always get this fine black sandy type stuff come out of it.Its never a big heap of it or anything, but it has already started to build up in the filter at 5000 km. I only use 98 octane fuels in my car, mostly shell V power or BP ultimate, sometimes caltex vortex 98.