Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Deadlock issue Urgent help needed.

locoman

locoman
Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WK Statesman
I have read the other threads re this issue, and I have been assisting my son via phone as he is in SA and I am currently in Canberra till tommoz. He tried spraying lanolin spray in to the door lock and jiggling, and now, guess what, he has broken the key off. So question is if we break a window to gain access into the car can we remove by cutting, any of the door trim to get at the deadlock micro switch? I cant envision any other way as the deadlock is a very effective detterent. need help urgently.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try removing the broken key with tweezers or long nose pliers....you will have to do this otherwise you will not have a key for the ignition etc to get cut. If the key is buuggered and cannot be cut you can get Holden to cut one ($$$$) or go to wreckers and get a BCM and matching keyhead and locks...a time consuming job as well.
What I'd do is try and disconnect the battery....you can open the bonnet with a very long flat screwdriver to unscrew the bonnet pin (see pic) then disconnect battery....I'm not sure if this will then allow you to lift the door button(s) but it probably would...then use a coathanger to unlock door. Then you can remove door trim and access lock. If you bust a window you will still have the battery holding the door lock down which is why I suggest disconnecting the battery.
Another way to get inside is drill out/bust the boot keyhole, open boot.then push hatch open and crawl into car, pull trim etc.
Also I've attached a pic of the lock. Good Luck and hope all goes well.

Edit - ignore first 2 pics - they are of cable which sometimes you can pull from underneath but difficult.

Attachments

• bonnetlock1.jpg
    bonnetlock1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,322
  • bonnetlock2.jpg
    bonnetlock2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 725
  • bonnetpin.jpg
    bonnetpin.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 753
  • bonpinscrew.jpg
    bonpinscrew.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 831
  • microswitch.jpg
    microswitch.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 1,065

locoman

locoman
Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WK Statesman
Thanks for that I will try that when I get Home. The boot option is a no go as he has LPG and the tank negates this. I will, for others post my solution(if I have I get one). Further to this he rang and told me he has got the broken key blade out so will get a new one cut, then work on it with lots of lanolin spray. Cheers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Tell him to spray down past the rubber seal on the window - use a nozzle to get past the seal. WD40 or similar may be nbetter as they are thinner than Lanolin spray plus the car wont smell like wet sheep. Also when the new key is cut, make sure he is turning it in the correct direction and try and tap the lock with a small hammer or screwdriver as he tries to turn it...this will help it turn.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
We had this problem on my young blokes VR the other week.It was left deadlocked,and once the battery went flat,it wouldnt let us open it with the key.I know that if its only left in the locked position,and not deadlocked as well,then it can be opened if the battery goes flat,(with a bit of force on the key),but not once its been deadlocked..all we did was jack up the left front of the car and support on a chassis stand,then locate the positive battery lead where it connects to the starter motor,you need to connect a POSITIVE jumper lead from a good 12 volt battery or jump start pack,to this positive lead on the starter,then connect the negative lead to the cars body somewhere,once this is in place,you should be able to use the new key in the door lock to unlock the car from the deadlocked position.

EDIT:Take no notice of my post above as its of no help in this situation..I thought it read that the car had got a flat battery whilst it was deadlocked and then the key was snapped whilst attempting to open it.It was probably another post that I was thinking of.Too many late nights for me, doin my head in...

Last edited:

locoman

locoman
Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WK Statesman
Now further to my last post, yep he got the key out but destroyed the lock now, so where to next?????If we could disconnect the battery, would this release the power to the micro switch??????

myVRrules

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L manual, VE Omega Sportswagon
Hi,

some years ago I had someone try to break into the VR and destroy the drivers side lock - it was deadlocked and as you know you can't then use the lock on the passengers side.

The good news was the NRMA got the back left door open in about 20 seconds, even thought it was deadlocked. I was then able to drive home.

You can get the driver's door trim off with the door shut - which is what I did, and then managed to pull the microswitch off the body of the lock.

It was great to hear 'click, click, click', from round the car as the deadlocking released on each door.

I then replaced the lock with a new one, because as explained above, it was very damaged by the thief! Depending on how hands-on you want to be you may want to get a locksmith to do it. But its not too hard to do yourself.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Now further to my last post, yep he got the key out but destroyed the lock now, so where to next?????If we could disconnect the battery, would this release the power to the micro switch??????

As I mentioned above,these cars need power to be opened with the key when they're deadlocked,we found this out the other week with my young blokes VR..he left it deadlocked and then the battery went flat over a few weeks.It wouldnt open with the key in the lock,it would have ended up snapping off.You can however open it with the key if the battery is flat its only in the locked position and not in the deadlocked position..anyway,as soon as we powered up the car from the starter/battery main positve wire,it allowed us to open the door from the deadlocked position easily with the key in the door lock..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Seeing as the lock is now destroyed, why not drill it out either with a large drill or a series of small holes drilled thru ot so it disintegrates, then retrieve the microswitch and operate it...cable should be long enough to pull thru the hole where the lock was. See attached pic of microswitch.microswitch.jpg

EDIT... after looking at the pic it may be easier to drill all round the doorhandle (around the lock) which is diecast and easier to drill plus make it easier to retrieve the microswitch.

locoman

locoman
Reaction score
Members Ride
04 WK Statesman
Well we have the door open. Had to drill the lock out, however we could still not access the microswitch, so had to force remove the outside door handle (carefully) and then push the operating link down which opened the door, however when we operate the microswitch to open all doors it does nothing, so assuming now when we get the new keys which will arrive today, we will turn on ignition then operate the microswitch which in turn should then release the deadlock. (I hope) on all doors.