Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR engine died while driving

v8s&2wheels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 Supercharged
Driving along the road at 50kph and all of a sudden the engine dies, couple of lights came up on the dash so i pulled over.

Would crank but not fire when trying to restart.

So went uunder the bonnet, remembered that a few people have problems with the alternator and that kills the engine while driving and lights come up on dash all like mine did, gave the alternator a couple of thuds with the palm of my hand.. and the car started again and drove home fine.

Would like to mention car has had problems starting 3 times in the last 3 weeks, cranks forever but wont fire. leave it for a few minutes and then it turns on fine.

Anyone like to shed some light and tell me if the alternators on the way out, or if i need to get the bushes done etc.

Any help or direction would be good thanks

trip01

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs2 berlina 96 3.8 auto hsv plated
Same thing with VS 6/96 V6 Berlina. Has something to do with the immobiliser ? (read in previous thread) When it won't start straight away the red light under the clock on the radio blinks once then it starts. When it starts straight away, that red light doesn't come on at all.
Yet to see the red light when the motor cuts out on hwy. Also when the motor won't start at all. Seems that I just have to wait for 5-10 minutes then it starts again. Got me stumped too.

Kind Rgds
Dave

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Seems that I just have to wait for 5-10 minutes then it starts again. Got me stumped too.

Sounds like a crank angle sensor (CAS) is on its last legs.What you say about the engine cutting out and starting again a few minutes later is very similar to what a stuffed CAS will cause.

v8s&2wheels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 Supercharged
So anyone got any ideas to what my problem is, alternator? small battery (its only a tiny 270cca)? CAS?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You are gonna have to try swapping things like the CAS.Maybe a mate will let you borrow his sensors etc to test on your car or pick up some second hand ones from the wreckers to use for the tests..Theres no point trying to guess the problem without trying other sensors or DFI modules etc.As you test stuff you can then rule it out as being the cause of the problem.A small battery is not gonna make the engine stall or play up.Also get a multimeter and check the battery voltage with the engine running and headlights on.It should be around 13 volts or more.If it shows a low voltage reading(around 12 volts or less),the alternator or its regulator is likely to be knackered.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
If it were mine, I would fit a new GENUINE Crank Angle Sensor. I fitted a new one to my VS (and a new fuel pump) the second day I owned it. Cheap insurance.
A mate of mine who runs a workshop, recommends to his customers a new one be fitted every 100,000kms.

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
try checking error codes when it stalls or even just after it wont start, cas will lodge a code when foulting, tech 1 will pick it up as a history code if you have that sort of luxuary