Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR fault code 82 problem

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
G'day guys.

The engine check light came on in my '94 VR & upon checking is showing Fault Code 82, which is for the 1-2 shift solenoid in the auto.

Found other people on the net whose cars are showing the same fault code & they said their car was is limp home mode & they didn't have all their gears. The strange thing is, I DO have all gears, although when putting it into gear from either Park or Neutral it clunks in instead of going in smooth.

Checked the fuse & that's good. I took the battery terminals off for about an hour to reset the computer. but it still shows the same fault code.

Anyone got any suggestions please.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Maybe the problem with the shift solenoid is only happening intermittently,so it doesnt effect the operation of the transmssion (yet), but is still enough of a problem to log an error code.Id check all the wiring and connectors that go to the transmission.If theres no problem there anywhere,then Id be replacing the shift solenoid,you just have to remove the trans pan to replace these.. These solenoids are available online for $20 or thereabouts and are easy to fit,you can kill two birds with one stone and do a service on the transmission whilst you have the pan off.You just need a transmission filter service kit,these kits come with a new pan gasket etc.These kits cost about $20 -$30 and you will also need 5 litres of dexron 111(3) trans fluid,another $20 - $30..

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
Thanks for the reply, Brett. If I find the wiring is ok & replace the solenoid, I may as well do both of them. I figure if one has gone the other one will go sooner or later, so may as well do both together.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks for the reply, Brett. If I find the wiring is ok & replace the solenoid, I may as well do both of them. I figure if one has gone the other one will go sooner or later, so may as well do both together.

Yep I'd definitely do both of them.Heres a link below to a site in the USA that sells them cheap,but you might be able to get them here in OZ fairly cheap,I know that the ones on aussie ebay are around the $50 mark...
---4L60E shift solenoid 4L60E transmission shift solenoids---

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
There are more than 2 solenoids - I think there are 4 all up......the transmission bloke who replaced mine said why replace a component that is still working!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Im not 100% sure about how many solenoids there are in these transmissions,but these two shift solenoids, (the solenoids shown in the link above)are very well known for playing up,and are cheap and easy to replace.. Error code 82 points to the shift solenoids being faulty,(the 1-2 shift solenoid),so Id say thats most likely where the problem is..and at around $10 each,I dont think it would break anyone to replace the other 2-3 shift solenoid whilst you are doing the 1-2 solenoid..