Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr flat battery, overheating help

audiosoup

Reaction score
hello

I recently started getting flat batteries. I checked out the old battery.. it was a bit ratty so I decided to buy a new one. Once it was installed, I dunno whether this is normal but the first two times when i went to go in reverse it stalled which it neva does.. i thightend the cables and it worked fine after that.. but then i took it to melbourne.. about 40 minutes into the trip that car was overheating and pushing past the H on the thermometer, i was in heavy traffic so i couldnt pull over. Though I put the car into park for about 30 seconds.. and after that it went down. On the way back it was fine and hardly came off Cold... any ideas why its doing this? I have checked the belts and water in the radiator. IT may be the crank angle sensor? IF it is, is it still safe to drive the car when it goes that hot?

thanks for any help guys

Ash81x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
could be air in the head?? my vr used to go way past the H when it got some air in there, undid the breather until the coolant came out and shes all sweet now :D

audiosoup

Reaction score
oh ok.. il have a look at that thanks... today i started the car .. and it took a bit for it to start and when it did .. it had a rough idle for a bout 5 seoncds till it built it up.. which it doesnt usually do?? arg lol

statesman_vs_s1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman Series 1 V6
Has it only been doing all these weird and wonderful things since you replaced the battery?

Perhaps dis-connect the battery and remove, clean both terminals for the battery and check your earth straps etc. replace the battery and make sure your terminals are secure.

Could possible be a crook connection somewhere causing electrical errors with the voltage drop.

Only a guess but anything is worth a try.