Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr front gearbox seal leaking after new front seal replaced

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Hey i had the vr auto gearbox out and replaced the front seal for the torque converter, I then put the box back into the car.
Took the car for a drive, when i got home i looked under the car to be disapointed as its still leaking. Now im not sure if it will be the pump problem? Or the converter shaft not sealing due to any pitting on the shaft? I noticed some discolouration on the converter shaft, but no obvious pitting.

Any ideas are welcome thanks.

Pete

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
there looks to be a pump bush behind the seal did you replace that with the seal? if not it's prob it.

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
I totally forgot about that bush, You will need a new seal to replace this bush as they dont seal to good after pulling them out.

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
What tool would i need to pull this bush out? And do i take the bush out the same way i put the seal in? In other words is it a gearbox shop job?

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
No you can do it at home, from memory they just push on, dont hold me to it though

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
seriously WTF the bush needs to be pressed in, suggest you take it to a tranny shop obviously dont know what your talking about.

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry bout the super late reply guys. I took my auto into the shop, and it needed a new front pump housing, bus, the bearing had turned in its housing. A new rotor i think its called, and a new vaine or two. It going ok. I still think its playing up from 51kph through to 70ish Kph. Put my foot down at 50kph and it give me ok power. put my foot down at 51 kph and it builds up the power at the last minute... not that impressive at all.

Any ideas?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Get a laptop or logging device like scantool to check sliprpm while driving, clutches are prob slipping, is oil good?

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea oil is all good, good reading on the stick. Doesn't leak any more at the moment. I know my cars done 285,000 plus, but now and then it will give me good power, and other times it sucks...

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
so theyjust replaced the pump and didnt rebuild box. hmm sounds a bit suss hope you get it sorted