Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr front speakers in doors

calebsnodgrass

Not defected... yet
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Executive, Series I, 3.8L
Hey everyone

im about to buy a pair of kenwood 6.5inch speakers 240watt

now im not looking for someone to say "get these speakers they are better" i want these ones lol

anyway, how do you install the speakers in the front passenger and driver side doors

all help is appreciated

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I'm not having a go, but if your knowledge is that limited, that you can't look at a door trim, and figure out how it would come off, then i can only suggest that you have someone do it for you. Because if your not at all confident with the simpler side of the instalation, then your most likely to run into further trouble with things like running wires, polarity ect...I'm not saying don't have a go and learn, but replacing stock speakers in a VR is a job that if your patient enough, you should be able to complete yourself no worries, even if it's your first ever experience with car audio.

calebsnodgrass

Not defected... yet
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Executive, Series I, 3.8L
I'm not having a go, but if your knowledge is that limited, that you can't look at a door trim, and figure out how it would come off, then i can only suggest that you have someone do it for you. Because if your not at all confident with the simpler side of the instalation, then your most likely to run into further trouble with things like running wires, polarity ect...I'm not saying don't have a go and learn, but replacing stock speakers in a VR is a job that if your patient enough, you should be able to complete yourself no worries, even if it's your first ever experience with car audio.

No thats fine i can do it i just didnt want to take the panel off and find out i have broken something.

I have changed the back speakers my self, i know not very challenging but I did it.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Use a flat blade driver to prise of the inner door handle cover, remove both screws inside.

Remove one screw on the front-bottom corner of the speaker pod, and 2 others along the bottom of the door trim skirting.

Use a very, very fine flat blade to prise out the little red tabs in the door locks; you will quite possibly crack the tabs or the plastic surround, someone may have an idea how to do it an easier way. Remove the tab, pull the grey plastic surround out and remove that screw as well.

Remove the two or 3 visible screws in the door A/C vents, you may also have to pull out the top vent to get to a screw holding the whole section to the door. Take care of the other 3 first, and if the section still won't budge, investigate further.

Once all these screws are out, you should be able to pull the door trim straight off.

Oh and also, 6.5" speakers will not fit very well without cutting the plastic sheeting that is underneath the door trim, and depending on the size of the magnet, they may not fit inside the door frame; the magnet could rest against a metal piece behind the speaker hole/ If this is the case, do everything you can to mount it extended from the door frame, but make sure you put something between the magnet and the metalwork to stop it from vibrating, it will drive you insane otherwise. Personally I would suggest you find some 6" speakers instead, but if your mind is made up, your mind is made up :p

Research your wires and polaritys before you connect anything. Check the wiring diagrams for your speakers, check the wiring diagrams for you cars, and make sure you get them right. Solder/connect the terminals, whichever you need to do, and make sure the terminals don't touch the door frame. Ordinarily this would not be a problem, but if you get stuck mounting the speakers not flush with the hole, the terminals may line up perfectly to touch the door frame. Use heatshrink to cover the terminals, and of course, do the same to any soldering joints anywhere. Make sure you leave no exposed wires anywhere they can touch anything else.

I hope your speakers are not splits; they may sound way better, but you will struggle like a mofo trying to run tweeter wires through the rubber door grommet if they're inline crossovers.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
OP has a VR exec, so he's going to have to remove his window winders also. I strongly suggest you upgrade the speaker cable while your there, i wouldn't use the original wiring. If they are spits, there's no need to run tweeter wire through the grommet, the wire on your tweeters will only be short anyway, you can run the same size cable to them, as you would with your speakers, through the same grommet, and you will find any given number of holes in the face of the door, which you can run the wire back out, to re-connect to the tweeters. Also makes it particulary easy if you plan to mount the tweeters on the back or the mirror surround covers..

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
OP has a VR exec, so he's going to have to remove his window winders also. I strongly suggest you upgrade the speaker cable while your there, i wouldn't use the original wiring. If they are spits, there's no need to run tweeter wire through the grommet, the wire on your tweeters will only be short anyway, you can run the same size cable to them, as you would with your speakers, through the same grommet, and you will find any given number of holes in the face of the door, which you can run the wire back out, to re-connect to the tweeters. Also makes it particulary easy if you plan to mount the tweeters on the back or the mirror surround covers..

Forgot about the windows winders, I've got electrics O:)

In the case of my speakers w/ inline crossovers, the speakers have 4 terminals; pos + neg to the headunit, and pos + neg to the tweeters, tweeters drawing through speakers and crossover between the two. If the tweeters are this style, they will need to be connected to the door speaker one way or another. As you say though, mirror surround would make things easy also.