Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr handbrake doesnt work

Rhys-VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
GENESIS BLUE VR COMMODORE
hey guys

ive read heaps of threads and read my book on this and seriously dont understand anything

handbrake doesnt work ive gone under the car and done the bolt up on the Y peice and still nothing

do i have to rip out the console or is it the shoes?

thanks

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
you have to check the adjustment of the shoes.
You need to set the shoe adjustment to approximatley 0.5mm smaller than the rotor internal diameter, then adjust the cable yoke to take up the remaining slack.

From memory I think the handbrake is supposed to hold when activated 6 clicks from the disengaged position.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If the book you have is a Gregorys there is a good write-up on adjusting the handbrake at the rear drum - this has to be done first as Muttley3838 says and there really are no short cuts you can take if you want it to work properly. If you don't have a Gregorys, PM me your email and I'll scan the page.

Rhys-VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
GENESIS BLUE VR COMMODORE
i couldnt find gregorys, i got another one like gregorys whats got a diagram of the Y peice and a little right up peice what i couldnt understand if it ment rip the console out or adjust it from under the car lol

muttley383

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 383
Adjust the shoes first then get under the car and adjust the cable yoke.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Release the cable adjuster under the car to the fully loose position before adjusting the shoes.
Then re adjust cable.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Ellery's ain't Gregorys...neither is Haynes - forget the Y piece as that is the final adjustment - unless you adjust the shoes at the brake drum you will never get it right. As I offered before, PM me your email address and I'll scan and send the relevant page from the Gregory manual on adjusting the handbrake.

baza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 2003 auto sedan
release the handbrake lever then slacken off the equaliser adjuster [ y piece ] then you can tighten up the shoe adjusters so that the disc hub is just free without binding then you can adjust the equaliser to remove slack in cable , and try handbrake lever should lock the wheels if you yank it up half dozen clicks.make sure then the rear brakes dont bind on the disc hub after releaseing handbrake lever......