Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR jacking/lifting points

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
so it wouldnt be very good to use them?? what about every now and again?? or bad idea all together

Use the jack under the diff for the rear of the car, and the front crossmember when you jack up the front of the car.... Thats what the gregory's manual says anyway.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The file which I posted is from the official owners manual and are the only "legal" trolley jacking locations. The problem with the "semi-circle cutouts" is that they may hold the vehicle vertically but push sideways on them and they will collapse. Back in the 60's in Melbourne I was first on the scene when a Mercedes fell off the jack onto a bloke....fortunately he hadn't removed the wheels but his shoulders and head where trapped under the car - I had to reposition the jack to release him and I can tell you it wasn't a pleasant experience for both of us.
The problem with jacking under the diff is that the car can then go sideways and drop off the diff and onto you (no handbrake on the front wheels!). Once you get any 2 wheels off the ground at the same time you risk the car moving sideways. When a car falls on you its crushes your chest and you cannot even cry out for help.
Apologies for sounding patronising but thats the way it is.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
The file which I posted is from the official owners manual and are the only "legal" trolley jacking locations. The problem with the "semi-circle cutouts" is that they may hold the vehicle vertically but push sideways on them and they will collapse. Back in the 60's in Melbourne I was first on the scene when a Mercedes fell off the jack onto a bloke....fortunately he hadn't removed the wheels but his shoulders and head where trapped under the car - I had to reposition the jack to release him and I can tell you it wasn't a pleasant experience for both of us.
The problem with jacking under the diff is that the car can then go sideways and drop off the diff and onto you (no handbrake on the front wheels!). Once you get any 2 wheels off the ground at the same time you risk the car moving sideways. When a car falls on you its crushes your chest and you cannot even cry out for help.
Apologies for sounding patronising but thats the way it is.

I think it should also be mentioned to NEVER work under a vehicle that is only supported by a jack, ALWAYS use axle stands, and the above should never happen....

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I think it should also be mentioned to NEVER work under a vehicle that is only supported by a jack, ALWAYS use axle stands, and the above should never happen....

I forgot to also mention that this bloke was using the car jack on plain dirt in a carpark which is also crazy. Thats the problem though - you get a flat tyre and pull over to the side of the road and the verge is generally dirt and on a slope...and the two bob car jack from the boot is so flimsy it just about bends in two. Plus its raining and you're running late for work and its night-time. We do take risks at times.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Not reading the other posts, I'll go straight to the point, open the rubbish bin, drop the stock jack in and close lid, forget about it.

Go to any spare parts place, Supercheap should do fine, buy a 1,200 - 1,500 Kg trolley jack.

Problems solved, the stock POS is not worth the trouble, they have been known to remove fingers, quite often.

If on a budget go to the wreckers and grab a Landcruiser jack, they should be easy able to lift an entire end up NP.

On the diff ? sure, the stock thing has to lift the suspension before a wheel will leave the ground, on soft ground they are dangerous, "always" keep a 12" square piece wood, enough so it fits in the spare wheel, 3/4" thick form ply does OK or similar to use under whatever jack you use, takes bugger all space and will save your fingers and feet when the stock jack collapses or rolls over.

It's Very handy to make up some chassis stands, cost stuff all and is a good rainy day project, and real handy when working under a car, why the V8's don't allow mechanics under a car unless the air jacks are blocked, similar deal.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
I forgot to also mention that this bloke was using the car jack on plain dirt in a carpark which is also crazy. Thats the problem though - you get a flat tyre and pull over to the side of the road and the verge is generally dirt and on a slope...and the two bob car jack from the boot is so flimsy it just about bends in two. Plus its raining and you're running late for work and its night-time. We do take risks at times.

How the hell did this bloke end up underneath his car when he ws trying to change a tyre?? Theres nothing wrong with using the cutouts on the sides of the car for somethiong like changing a tyre, but i wouldnt get under there

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
How the hell did this bloke end up underneath his car when he ws trying to change a tyre?? Theres nothing wrong with using the cutouts on the sides of the car for somethiong like changing a tyre, but i wouldnt get under there

Basically he made a stupid mistake! - he didn't give a reason and everyone concerned was happy he was OK when we repositioned the jack and released him. In this case the jack didn't fail....it was the soft surface the jack was sitting on. (also probably the soft surface that saved him because if it was hard bitumen his chest would have collapsed) Once bitten - twice shy.