Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR level 2 dash into VP level 1???

Abrowne70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2, VL 5sp Berlina Wagon
Hey guys i currently have a VP level 1 dash in my vp and am wanting to upgrade to a level 2 dash with a tacho, i have a vr level 2 dash and im wondering if its possible to pull the clusters out of the vr dash and put them into my level 1 dash.

question 1 - will the tacho work even though my vp dash is level 1???

question 2 - will the instrument clusters fit straight into my vp dash???

Also what is required to put cruise control into a vp with level 1 dash, i can easily get the cruise control switches from a wreckers but wondering if more wiring needs to be done or anything else.

Thanks, Anthony

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
From what I know, VR/VS cluster is the same as the VN/VP ones...so you should be able to put it in...

As for it wiring up, yes it will.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
Just check the numder one the sockets at the back to make sure they are the same.
If they are not the same then you carefully remove the green circuit film and swap them over, then you just need to swap over the front cover as the dash warning lights may be different.
Yes this works i have a vs cluster with vn front taco and corcuit in my vp.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Is it just the VR/VS L3 clusters that make smoke when put into a VN/VP?

Are L2 cluster good to swap?

Abrowne70

Reaction score
Members Ride
nop the L2 smoked lol, burnt out 2 circuits, probably should've done my research before just plugging it in.

Still looking for a defiant answer

Abrowne70

Reaction score
Members Ride
anyone sure if the vr level 2 cluster can be placed into a vp level 1 cluster and have the working tacho?

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
dude change the green circuit board and the clear font cover and it WILL work fine.
I HAVE a VS cluster in me VP

Abrowne70

Reaction score
Members Ride
dude change the green circuit board and the clear font cover and it WILL work fine.
I HAVE a VS cluster in me VP

it wont work, the vr dash fits in perfectly, except it smokes, the wiring on the vr is different, even if i change the green circuit board its still going to smoke due to it having the wiring differently. Someone correct me if im wrong but i tried to install the vr dash straight in, fitted perfectly and then reconnected the battery and it started to smoke, burnt out two of the circuit lines.

Kruza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dumped IRS VS Acclaim 3.8, VR Stato Caprice 5.0
the vr/vs dash cluster WILL NOT work in a vn/vp......

i have tried this, and it burnt out the wires in my mates vp sedan...
it cost me a new dash harness in the process.......

the level 2 dashs cost around 50 bucks at the wreckers... just finding one in good nick is ur only problem..

Abrowne70

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i have worked that out by experience, the question im asking is, will i be able to take the instrument clusters out of the vr level 2 dash, and put the clusters into my vp level 1 dash and have them all working, including tacho. if u get what i mean, because i prefer the vr ones over the vp ones. im just asking if it'll work, otherwise ill got get a vn or vp level 2 dash and put the vr clusters into that as i believe that they are all interchangeable just unsure if they are between different level dashes. thanks aswell for your clear answer NV_90VN