Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr noisy flywheel sound

tattsus

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs pursiut special
i have what sounds like a rattly fly wheel it does not affect the performance it just makes a noise when the motor is idling has anybody got any ideas

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
If your 100% it's the flywheel then just change it.

tattsus

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs pursiut special
pretty sure it is i am going to change it i have another flywheel ive just been a bit lazy

CORNYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ
i have what sounds like a rattly fly wheel it does not affect the performance it just makes a noise when the motor is idling has anybody got any ideas

I have the same sort of problem :s
When the car is in neutral with the clutch in it's fine just the engine running like normal when you let the clutch go an it just ideals in neutral it makes like a running noise not sure how to describe it? Kind of wind rushing plates brushing maybe?

I'm not sure? Is this kind of the same thing?

tattsus

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs pursiut special
mines an auto its just like a continuios scapping sound comming from the bell housing the car runs fine and my auto is fine

dwerbnok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive S1
ok well i had this problem up until yesterday. i have just finished a manual conversion with a T5 gearbox (cable clutch). i installed a brand new exedy HD clutch yet when the car ran it made a really annoying rattling/sqeaking noise that went away when you lightly touch or move the clutch pedal/throwout fork i also found that by putting my foot behind the clutch pedal and lifting upwards slightly the noise would go away. now i sent the car to a mechanic who is a mate and i told him that i thought it was the throwout bearing that was making noise on the input shaft, instead my mate found out that it was the throwout fork itself that was rattling around and making a fuss because these little rubber dampeners between the fork and the bearing were missing, apparently this is reasonably common with T5's. anyway after installing a stronger spring and some rubber dampening things in there the noise has all but disappeared. have a look through the clutch hole into the bellhousing when the engine is running and if you see some inbalance in there then this is your problem. i hope this helps...

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The OP will have a driveplate not a flywheel - these can crack where they attach to the crankshaft and make noises - there is a cover plate at the bottom of the bellhousing that you can pull off and use a torch to see what you can see. If something has been rubbing there will be witness marks.