Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR not cranking

bigstew100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Hi all. I am trying to get a 94 VR to go, after it has been sitting for about 13 years under some trees in the elements etc. It doesn't have a battery in it, but I have tried jumper leads to the ute battery. When I turn the key, all the lights come on on the dash like it should, headlights, indicators, aircon etc all work fine, but when i turn the key and try to crank it it just goes click and the red warning light/ indicator thingy ( the one that looks like an i with circles around it.) comes on. I was just wondering what the problem might be, if it's just a crook connection if the starter motors buggered or something like that. Working on a budget of zero dollars, what do you think the easiest fix is, cheers

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Easiest fix would be to put a battery in it.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
when i turn the key and try to crank it it just goes click and the red warning light/ indicator thingy ( the one that looks like an i with circles around it.) comes on.
thats the lamp test funtion on the dash showing the lamps work its meant to do that . As you didn't have a battery the voltage drop was probably stopping the car from turning over try again with a good battery. Doing what your doing will create other electrical problems I know a bloke that will change batterys while the engine is running many cars hes touched have strange electrical problems no one else has ever seen.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Does the motor spin by hand first? If yes maybe get someone to smack the starter when you are trying to start it.

As others have said put in a fresh battery and give all the battery terminals a good clean as well.

bigstew100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
when i turn the key and try to crank it it just goes click and the red warning light/ indicator thingy ( the one that looks like an i with circles around it.) comes on.
thats the lamp test funtion on the dash showing the lamps work its meant to do that . As you didn't have a battery the voltage drop was probably stopping the car from turning over try again with a good battery. Doing what your doing will create other electrical problems I know a bloke that will change batterys while the engine is running many cars hes touched have strange electrical problems no one else has ever seen.
Righto, will try to source a good battery for it, cheers

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
You could take the battery out of the ute and hook that up just to try and start it?
Depending on the age of the fuel it might fire straight up,happy days.