Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Oil Pressure Light

taylorsvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS V8 Ute
I had just degreased and sprayed down my engine then went to go for a drive and noticed that my oil pressure light lit up and didnt go away, i checked my oil and its rite on the full mark.. whats the problem? maybe the water from the wash upset something electrical? any way ill check it in the morning, maybe it'll go away once its dried out abit.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I have never had it happen myself but Ive read on here about plenty of people who have. Water gets in the oil pressure sensor and causes a short which causes the light to come on.Give it a couple of days to dry out.If the oil pressure was really low the engine would be rattling its head off ,you would definitely hear and notice it.If it is rattling dont drive it,it will destroy it.If the engine sounds ok and your gonna drive it while the oil light is on (whilst the sensor dries out)make sure you keep a good check on the engine sound.If the engine sound changes at all you know its and not just the sensor.You can also take it to someone and get the oil pressure checked to make sure its all ok and within spec if you want.They will just connect an oil pressure gauge to the engine and read the oil pressures.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
i did this in mine too, was thinking the worst (rebuild time) but after some research on forums i worked out that the pressure switch disagrees with water. though n my case it didn't come good again and i bought a new switch

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
ok cheers, i shall pick one up today

Water gets inside the switch through a small hole ...there should be a seal around the wires and it has ribs to prevent water or oil getting inside...but just take the switch out and spray it with a rp7 or inox and let it run inside and then leave upside down and all the liquid will run out or blow out with air and next day it should all be good again.