Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Parcel Shelf

Wire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec 94
Hey
I have a set of Kenwood 6x9's just waiting to be fitted into the back of my 94 vr. I want to fabricate a new parcel shelf for it but i was wondering if their was a basic guide with pics or something similar i could folow? iv searched these forums and others but cant find anything.

So if anyone has made their own parcel shelf for their vr/vs please tell me about it, some pics would be nice. I just need some ideas on materials and pricing etc.

Any help is appreciated, Thanxs

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
if your set on doin up a custom parcel shelf thats cool..
but if you want an easer option you can make up spacers that go on top of the existing speaker holes.you just get a outline of the dimensions and then jigsaw the required size hole in some mdf or something similar..then just cut around the hole you made to whatever shape you want the spacers to be.
once thats done clue on some upholstry carpet the same as the parcel shelfs.
to fit you just screw the spacer (from underneath) to the parcel shelf...you will probably have to jigsaw the excess parcel shelf off thats showing inside your spacers speaker hole.
then chuck your new 6x9's in.

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
so you want to make a fibreglass parcle shelf? or just a flat one from mdf?

if you were going to make a fibreglass one then basicly all you do is;
* get some 18mm mdf (or however thick it is from the grill of the speaker to where it sits flush) trace around the grill then trace around again 18mm wider.
* cut out the inside and outside ovals so the speaker should be able to pass through the inside.
* then get a 12mm pencil round bit and a router and rout around the outside of the "rings".
* then get a piece of masinite or something thin and glue it to the bottom of the "rings" (this is what the speaker will screw to)
* take the old shelf out put position the rings were you want them then make some blocks up that hold the "rings" in place then screw it to the old shelf and the "rings".
* now stretch some material over the whole thing and get all the wrinkles out fastening the material to the back of the shelf with hot glue or that glue in a can (the spray on stuff).
* now mix up the resin and coat the whole thing very generiously
* now cut some of the back out so you can get inside and strengthen up the resined material mabey laying down some piece of dowel and fibreglasing then to the back of it and building up the layers of fibre glass (or if you dont mind if being fair heavy then mix up resin and talc and pour in in and spread it around.
* now remove the blocks of wood holding the "speaker rings" and cut out some of the mascinite or whatever so the magnet can pass through.
* then sand
* and sand
* and sand till it is all smoth and paint of just give it a rough sand and cover it with velour.

i dont hav any pics of doing that as i havnt done it yet, but i have made a fibreglass sub box a simular way and i am starting to make some fibreglass door pods but they wont be finished anytime soon. any questions just ask as some of that is fair confusing and i might not of explained it right.

Wire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec 94
Thanxs L8n thats a very good guide to fibreglassing, im still tossing between fibreglass or mdf. Id like to see the results of both to compare them. Mdf would be easier but then again more custom detail can be added with fiberglass. Spacers arent an option as the stock parcel shelf on vr is just..... ugly.

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
the stock parcel shelf doesnt look that bad when it is trimmed though (ive got a vs not sure if the design changed) and when i had 6x9s i just had a spacer didnt look that bad in my opinion.

Snotty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina auto s2
l8n, when you say "material" what exactly do you mean?

thanks

Wire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec 94
the parcel shelf isnt that bad but mine is covered in a gross stained grey trim :O

S

srell

personally i ripped out the old shelf, placed the 6x9's on 2 peices of MDF and capeted to match the interior, problem i had is i couldn't get the board into position with the MDF covering the entire back shelf and have a 2 inch gap at the back and same on the sides.

To hold it there i have 3x L Brackets bolted to the body of the car (there's three holes behind the seats) and bolted the shelf down to the baby seat holes with spaces to hold it up.

Took me around 2-3 hours to complete it looks okay, but the speakers are north south.

Troubles i had:
Speakers touching the metal (hence 2x MDF sheets)
Gaps
bending L brackets Right
Drilling holes vertically throu wood for the spacers. (wood apparently splits when drilled along the grain??)

Will post Pics soon.

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
Snotty said:
l8n, when you say "material" what exactly do you mean?

thanks

by material i mean something that is not 100% cotton, something slightly stretchy so it will pull tight, and for a parcel shelf something not to think but if you were doing a sub box you would want something about 1/8 of a inch thick (the pic shows how the material makes the desired shape of the item)

Wire said:
the parcel shelf isnt that bad but mine is covered in a gross stained grey trim :O

why dont you go to a wrecker get another parcel shelf to play with strip all the old carpet off then go to a trimmer and buy some velour from them , then get some contact adheasive (glue in a spray can) and try trimming the shelf and then make up spacers for the speakers. you could even make up the spacers and put them on the parcel shelf before you trim it but then you have to make the spacers "flow" in to the shelf so it makes it easier to trim and looks better.

Attachments

• Picture18.gif
    Picture18.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 277

94vrexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
my mums old camira just recently went thru a makeover (dnt know why she did it, bt i still helped her anyway). we installed new speakers in the parcel shelf. the parcel shelf was all mouldy and faded from the sun, so i got some floor lino from the flooring place in my town(free offcuts) and cut it 2 size and lay it across the shelf. i used glue to stick it down and it looks awsum! its this blue rich looking lino that machs the leather interior. lino cums in heaps of colours and patterns and its free!. so try it.