Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR power steering noise

Stewyh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Howdy, just purchased a low ks VR Calais. The power steering makes a rumbling sound (only when turning left and worse if brakes are on or going over bumps, also worse when engine is cold). Been told it could be a number of things, damaged engine mount (looks fine to me), air in the ps system and even that the pump may be buggered.

Is This a common thing? Just thought I'd post here before I shell out $$ to a mechanic.

cheers.

M1NTVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore 3.8L
this will sound dumb but hows the fluid level? i know when my fluid gets abit loud it gets like that

Stewyh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Yeah fluid level is fine, was the first thing I checked.
Cheers

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
how about when the car is stationary and turning the steering wheel?

doubt it'll be air in the system, it continually pumps fluid so it self bleeds and if it was this it'd be doing it both left and right, same with a buggered pump, it wouldn't be selective to which way you turn the wheel.

Any signs of fluid leaking? maybe get the car up on some ramps and grab an open ended spanner and check all the pipes on the rack are tight.

A failing pump makes more of a whining noise under load (essentially how just about every 3rd vl-vs sounds when it's turning lol)

Last edited:

Stewyh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Yeah it's weird. Doesn't do it when stationary unless the brakes are applied. I'm chucking on some new rims tomorrow so will suss out the ps rack while I'm at it.
cheers.

Stewyh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Put on the new rims (17" VT SS) and checked the rack. Everything tight and no leaks. Think I'll just put up with it. However, putting the new rims on has caused a new issue. Road noise. With the 15" stockys it was quiet as a mouse. Now with the new rims (came with cheapo Firenzas) the noise goes from a low whirring at about 60 to a bloody annoying whine at about 100. Has to be the tyres as nothing else on the car has changed and they don't foul anywhere. Wondering if I should get an alignment or just chuck the tyres and buy some decent ones. Might post this in another thread.