Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Series 1 & 2 Fuel Economy

calebsnodgrass

Not defected... yet
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Executive, Series I, 3.8L
Ok so I have a VR series 1 in a little worse condition than my brothers series2.
Worse condition as in the engine bay is dirty but completely stock.

Now on a full tank of petrol which for both cars is a tank of 63L i will get around 400-480km depending if I grandma it or if im a teenager.

Now my brother is more of a hoon than me pretty much flogging his most of the time yet he gets 500-600km.

Is this something to do with the engine or should I start to look at the fuel filter, spark plugs, injectors etc??

Any help is appreciated.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
I would guess your bro has an 80l fuel tank, or he is bullshitting you.

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
nice idea to keep the thing serviced and see how you go.
ive just stumbled apon why my vr was chewing fuel. leaking radator, for some reasion before i changed the leaking radator it read under 1/4 and my cont fuel was at 10l/100 at 50km/h with a/c on. now i get 7.9 const l/100 with a/c on and temp gauge sits bung on 1/4 same speed and same day and same road. radator was only changed

Kurtp

VR Buicks > You ;)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 Sedan
I have a series 2 and get around 500 - 550 off the tank, possibly 600 if i pushed it to the bottom of the tank, however this is a mix of city and highway. My friends VR which is series 1, got over 800 off the tank when we drove to adelaide (all freeway), i know he gets around 500 also usually. So it isn't a series issue. You might wanna look into the leaking radiator, my fuel cap was dodgey and my fuel economy dropped like crazy, now i replaced it im using 2L less per 100.

Andrew426: Why how bad is your economy?

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
I have a series 2 and get around 500 - 550 off the tank, possibly 600 if i pushed it to the bottom of the tank, however this is a mix of city and highway. My friends VR which is series 1, got over 800 off the tank when we drove to adelaide (all freeway), i know he gets around 500 also usually. So it isn't a series issue. You might wanna look into the leaking radiator, my fuel cap was dodgey and my fuel economy dropped like crazy, now i replaced it im using 2L less per 100.

my radiator is fixed i was just using it as an example

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
My old VR got approx 600 freeway with a bit of traffic for some reason my VS is heavier then what my VR was.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Plugs,leads and coils wear out over time.Its worth replacing them if they are old.Also keep the oil changed plus change the oil filter, and air and fuel filters need regular replacement.Also the filter in the auto transmission should be changed regularly.I do my oil andf filter every 5000 km.I change the air and fual every 10000 km.And the transmission filter every 20,000km.The oxygen sensors can cause bad fuel economy.These usually last until around 100,000 km.After this they can start to give bad readings,which doesnt set an error code,buit will kill the fuel economy,so it might be worth renewing the oxygen sensors as well if they are old.

calebsnodgrass

Not defected... yet
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Executive, Series I, 3.8L
ok thakyou all for your replies and no my brother isnt 'bullshitting' me cause i am driving it now to test the tank out... His is also completely stock Vr series 2 so there should really be no difference..

Ill have to check with previous owner if oxygen sensors have been replaced as its on 260k+ so that could possibly be the problem..

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
I get arount 9l/100km in my vr driving normally on the open road. The best I have ever gotten driving the VR hard though (eg a 250km trip in 2 and a half hours) was around 13-14l/100km. Which makes me suspect of anyone claiming to drive a vr hard and still get 500-600km out of a tank.
That being said though, my vr isnt exactly stock.