Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR shudder, design problem?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the harmonic balancer is wobbly it will need replacing anyway.You dont want it to let go altogether when you are out driving,you will be stuck on the side of the road.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
To check the drivetrain jack up the car on one side at the back(unless you have a limited slip diff,in which case you have to jack up both back wheels.)Put the trans into neutal and turn the back wheel.Listen to the tailshaft and uni joints for any noise or clunking,grinding etc,and WITHOUT GETTING RIGHT UNDER THE CAR, try to see if there is any movement at the uni joints while the back wheel is turned back and forth.If it sounds quiet and there is no noticeable movement(up and down or side to side)from the tailshaft,then it is most likely to be ok.Chassis stands are the safest way to do this test.If you have them,use them.Double check everything and be safe.

Last edited:

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Forgot to mention the CV joint in the tail shaft... Do Bretts method and if u hear a tink tink while turning the rear wheel back and forth then it could be shot.

dawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV
Mine has been getting a worse shutter over the last few months, but its only when taking off from standstill ( it is a manual). Ive had the uni's done, and also engine mounts within the last 6 months as they were flogged out anyway. Although mine has no shutter at all when driving.

What does this sound like? Gearbox mounts maybe?

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
i used to have shudder in my VN ended up being the transmission mounts.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
just had the harmonic balancer changed, cost $267 inc. parts. not too bad.

definitely some improvement, the car has a lot more power and is much smoother, there is still shudder but it's only in the steering now, like the steering wheel when you take of/accelerate.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Mine has been getting a worse shutter over the last few months, but its only when taking off from standstill ( it is a manual). Ive had the uni's done, and also engine mounts within the last 6 months as they were flogged out anyway. Although mine has no shutter at all when driving.

What does this sound like? Gearbox mounts maybe?

I would say clutch mate. Is it mainly while you release it?

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Ok so. Sprayed some lubricant stuff around the engine, mostly on the belt and all the various pullies/moving parts, shudder is much less now!

also another thing it could be, (could just me be though) it seems like it shudders less when economy mode is off. (I have the button on the console) Any ideas what would be causing the shudder?