Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR solid diff Rear Axle Bearings

Nodrog69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 ute
Problem solved, I replace the bearing back to original Timken bearings from Burson. Before I install the new bearings I measured there assembled thickness. The Timkens bearing measured to 28.95mm

Also measured the generic bearings from sprint auto parts and they measured to 28.01mm

Having 1mm play was also causing the brakes to over heat due to the extra pressure on the brakes pads. Maybe be 0.2mm play but 1mm mhmm last time I buy crap after market parts what you pay for is what you get.
What is the timken part number?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yes some lateral play is normal for live rear axle bearings
Absolute BS !!!!! there should be absolutely no real noticeable endfloat whatsoever as that create issues of the brake rotor moving sideways in the caliper which again creates it's own set of issues. Honestly who posts this sort of info ???

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Absolute BS !!!!! there should be absolutely no endfloat whatsoever as that create issues of the brake rotor moving sideways in the caliper which again creates it's own set of issues. Honestly who posts this sort of info ???

Someone that hasn't been on for 8 years

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well you call it BS and yet every car manual I've had to suit Commodores have shown there is axle float and give min/max tolerances and then diffs I've had rebuilt by well known diff builders here in NZ have also had axle float after been assembled by them.

I believe you have copies of the actual factory service manuals for these model Commodores so maybe you wish to post a copy of the relevant section that shows what Holden recommend for rear axle end float?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Like how there plenty of threads here that say v8 commodores came with drum brakes on the rear or a 1 inch master cyclinder will work VT calliphers ?
Doesn't the book say saything like 15 thousandths of an inch 0,381 mm max end play so bugger all which would make sense for a disk brakes.

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
0.40-0.48mm new, 0.78mm is the limit for checking used bearing end float.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well you call it BS and yet every car manual I've had to suit Commodores have shown there is axle float and give min/max tolerances and then diffs I've had rebuilt by well known diff builders here in NZ have also had axle float after been assembled by them.

I believe you have copies of the actual factory service manuals for these model Commodores so maybe you wish to post a copy of the relevant section that shows what Holden recommend for rear axle end float?
They talk of a few Thou and not millimeters

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
They talk of a few Thou and not millimeters

But that is still end float. You called end float BS which it's not. excessive end float is bad.

0.40-0.48mm new, 0.78mm is the limit for checking used bearing end float.

Yes, that is what my manual states too.

But I do believe @vs-lover has genuine hard copies of manuals for these cars so it would be good if he could post what Holden recommend.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
But that is still end float. You called end float BS which it's not. excessive end float is bad.

Yes, that is what my manual states too.

But I do believe @vs-lover has genuine hard copies of manuals for these cars so it would be good if he could post what Holden recommend.
Straight out of the VR Vol 2 Supplement, It's what Grimes has suggested 0.4 -0.48 which is a bit more than I anticipated, so that's just under half a mill.