Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR SS starting problem

timbra_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5ltr
Hey guys. Recently aquired a 94 VR SS. It was starting fine when i picked it up and all that day. Now when i go to start it, it cranks for ages before it starts to fire and even then i have to give it a few pumps of the accelerator and she splutters back to life. Once the car is started it drives and idles fine. This problem happens consistently, in the morning before work and in the afternoon coming home.

Today i noticed also while cranking i could smell a strong fuel smell. I'll be checking the plugs tomorrow. It seems that it takes longer and longer to start each time i drive the car. Possibly fouling plugs? Maybe fuel reg problem or something..

Any ideas are appreciated, thanks. Tim.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
maybe leaking injectors? if it isnt so bad after shutting it off briefly then i would suspect them

timbra_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5ltr
Thanks mate ill have to look into that, and i think you are onto something because today when i started the car i watched the back end and i saw a few puffs of black smoke (fuel) coming out the exhaust for a second or two while starting. One started there is no black smoke and car operates normally.

timbra_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5ltr
Im pretty sure its injectors because the car starts fine if started a short time after turning off, where as if left longer is very hard to start, lots of black smoke :( What happens with leaking injectors? Do i have to just replace them? Is it more likely to be more than one injector? How do i test if they are leaking? Pull them out and watch for drips?

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
i think u can get them ultrasonically cleaned but im not 100% sure if that will fix it. i'd assume that if 1 is gone the rest might not be far off. to the best of my knowledge thats how ya check them, lift the fuel rail+injectors, put some paper under the injectors so any leaks will show, check a few hours later

revhead33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN EXEC
what was the out come of this , cause my vr is doing the same