Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr ss thrashed!

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hi guys,

As some of you may be aware, i have been doing up a VR SS for a couple of months now. Some also may be aware that the VR SS has recently been stolen AND recovered relatively intact.

My question is?

What should i be looking for when trying to fix a car that has been absoloutely THRASHED for approximately 100km's.

The car has done decent burnouts and doughnuts shredding both the rear tyres. Hammered along a dirt track for approx 55km's (highway for 45km) and has hit something hard enough to send the front left tyre up into the guard resulting in the guard to be dented.

The car had done 170 000kms and was running beautifully before it was stolen. When i picked it up it was running rough. Idling rough as guts with poor wheel alignment (from hitting something).

Obviously it is a bit hard to say what the issues are without driving it or knowing more, but if your car was stolen, what are all the things you would check? The car has been driven as hard as it could! Still not losing any oil or fluids whatsover and not overheating or anything.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, Cheers in advance!!

Poms308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 308
Sorry to hear about your car mate, i feel for ya all that hard work and money down the drain, id be checkin the transmission/gearbox because if they were young like you were saying in your other thread they probs held it in 1st or didnt no how to drive and were ridin the clutch like no tommorow (if manual?)

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Is an auto, they did some surprisingly good burnouts and doughnuts for the ages of them! I basically followed the rubber to find my car!

admir87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
sorry to hear bud.

sounds as though they revved the **** out of it if its running rough

i would do a compression test first to confirm the heads, gasket, and valves are still alright.

then give her a good service, plugs oil, etc and make sure you change the autotrans oil as it could be burnt due to the burnouts.

goodluck with it

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
sorry to hear your pride and joys been demolished, id kill the kids, (not literally b4 someone jumps on my case and reports me to no avail *cough* )

like said, gearbox fuid ect, check for leaking hoses underneath, such as petrol bla bla, check suspension bushes ect, check plugs, what fuel is in it, dirt in air filter bla bla, basicly think of anywhere they couve taken car and what negatives could happen from that, check if the exhaust or extractors are dinted, seeing it sounds likes it been bottomed out

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
The suspension is the biggest thing id say. If they have hit things that hard, i have no doubt that somthing (prop multiple things are bent) and will require replacing. Best thing to do there is take it to a suspesion shop and have them put it on the hoist and explain to them what happened.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Cheers for the advice guys, may be cheaper to strip it and get another SS to swap out the interior. Am planning on moving over east so it's going to cost me approx 2k to send on a truck. Still trying to figure out if its worthwhile ditching and starting again in Brisbane (that way i save 2k transporting a possibly stuffed car).

Still living in country town so any major work is going to easily outweigh the value of the vehicle.

Other costly thing will be fixing front bar and two side panels. Because its pearlescent paint or whatever ya call it = major pain in ass.

Interesting info for you - the forensic investigator who came out to fingerprint the car claimed that my type of paintjob is the only type you can't lift fingerprints from. He claims it is due to the speckle in the paint or some crap. I dont really buy it! Anyone else heard of this??

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
go to pedders ask for the 14$ check, lol youlb e ripping them off with all the work theyre doing, check the major bits ike front of the car isnt bent who knows, then decide to keep it or not

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
No pedders up here unfortunately, no one will look at your car for less than 150 an hour labor, even for quotes. Bit low on $$$ as i have had 6+ weeks off work from motorbike accident so getting robbed an car stolen was a major inconvenience!