Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr transmission installing problems

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
gday im having some problems putting my vr auto transmission onto the motor while its out of the car. it keeps jamming up even when i try to jack it all the way around evenly, the top moves and presses against the block. i tried to put the engine in with the tranny still in and that was a waste of a fair few hours.

is there any things i have to make sure or or to do it a certain way. i have put the gearbox in nuetral

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Only thing I can think of is that you haven't strapped the torque converter to the transmission before fitting to the engine or the TQ isn't fully pushed into the trans.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
so i gotta put the torque convertor to the gear box and then just bolt up the flex plate to the crank?

9C1pack

Reaction score
I think your problem may be that you do not have the torque converter installed correctly. There are 2 sets of splines to be engaged, put the T/C onto the trans and rotate it. You should feel it engage the second set of splines and set back further in the trans. The flex plate should be bolted to the crank and the T/C installed into the trans (as above) and then when the engine and trans are joined you can install the T/C to drive plate bolts by installing each bolt hand tight then rotating the T/C & flex plate to get to the other bolts before finally tightening them.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
so i gotta put the torque convertor to the gear box and then just bolt up the flex plate to the crank?

Spot on - sounds like you were trying to bolt the TQ to the flex plate and then trying to slip the tran on.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
cheers fellas with your help i finally got the bastard on and its pretty much in the car thanks again

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Hey um i put my convertor onto the gearbox, but i still am having a problem getting the gearbox hard up against the engine to bolt it together. Any reasons or ideas welcom please.

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
Pete are you lining up the alignment lugs? as said above if the TQ isnt pushed all the way in properly you will have issues, also make sure there is no wiring in the way, i know that sounds stupid but the amount of people ive helped because, their gear box wont go in and its been wiring is stupidly hi

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
Hi VR ACCLAIM, no wiring in the way mate, there are 2 lugs if im correct which may be not possitioning correctly. One question i do have is, should you be able to see a gap between the t/c and the face of the gearbox, when the t/c is sitting in position properly?

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
No your second spline isnt engaged properly twist the tq and it should embed its self properly