Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR - Typical amp wiring location

mess666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L BT1
Hi, just mounted an amp in my boot, and was just wondering which sides of the car I should run my wiring (ie. power and speakers). Is it alright to run speaker wire past the car's computer (left side)? or will this cause interference? What's everyone else done?

Cheers

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
ive always ran he positive power wire on the same side of the battery. and the RCA's on the opposite side.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
can run the rca down the trans tunnel if you want as well.
speaker wire and ecu are fine, you can even run it next to the power for a bit if need be.

shady

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive/ VR clubsport
in my vr, the rca is on passenger side, power, remote, and 6 x 9 speaker cable on driver side. This seems logical, although there is a on/off missile switch connected to the remote line to turn the amp on and off, although this was a hassle it is worthwhile if ur deck doesnt have sub control.

RUN41T

Go forth and modify
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 Vb Sle
can run the rca down the trans tunnel if you want as well.
speaker wire and ecu are fine, you can even run it next to the power for a bit if need be.

Don't run speaker cables or RCA's next to power cables as it can induse engine noise, will make your speakers hum

I would run power down the right hand side and the rca's/ speaker cables down the centre (On top of the trans tunnel)

Cheers
Garrett

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
like i said not ideal, but if you *have* to...... (eg if your too slack!)

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
is that a pain in the arse through the trans tunnel. or did you just lift up your carpet. and run it underneath. just not sure how i should do it? thanks alot
even though this aint my thread.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
correct me if im wrong, but speaker wire should be fine to run with power wires. it is only signal wires (RCA's) that you should worry about. interference (buzzing noise) is caused by the electrical field of power wires penetrating poorly shielded RCA's which is then amplified and sent to your speakers.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
As azzfox said, its only line level (your RCAs) that you have to worry about getting interference and humming. Speaker level (post-amp) is not affected by this - unless it is running alongside high voltage power cable, which you simply dont find in cars.

RUN41T

Go forth and modify
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 Vb Sle
is that a pain in the arse through the trans tunnel. or did you just lift up your carpet. and run it underneath. just not sure how i should do it? thanks alot
even though this aint my thread.

Yeah mate, just run it under the carpet along the trans tunnel, and under the back seat to the boot.

Cheers
Garrett