Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR ute ecu identification help ?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sorry I just bought it and I don't know if it did or not . There is no kick down cable to throttle body at all. This vehicle was a v6 column shift auto originally. There is some crappy cut and shut done to the engine loom to original body loom that freaks me out a bit, I did find a local with a vr 5.0 auto engine loom and matching ecu I was nearly thinking of getting , that would with any luck fix two issues but now I'm not sure if it would be compatible .

Well that is weird as I don't think the 808 can control an electronic trans in any way.

Is there a table that lists ecu to auto type and 5 litre series specifically ?

There is, if you go to the PCM hacking forum there is a program you download call Memcal ID tool, it lists all known tunes and ECU/PCM numbers.

You might want to post the photo's of that ECU and Memcal there as there might be someone there who recognises that hardware and branding.

Jaso74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore Ute 5.0
Well that is weird as I don't think the 808 can control an electronic trans in any way.

There is, if you go to the PCM hacking forum there is a program you download call Memcal ID tool, it lists all known tunes and ECU/PCM numbers.

You might want to post the photo's of that ECU and Memcal there as there might be someone there who recognises that hardware and branding.
It's shifted gears ok on the way home from one end of town to the other , about 10-12 kms . Nothing weird shifting wise, just runs crappy , not constant miss or anything , just tons of fuel . I will get it on a hoist at some stage and be able to identify the trans then I guess. She seems to be a bit of a miss mash , wish I new more about it's history . I will get on pcm hacking though as you suggest and see what I can find out .
Thanks again .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There are some variations in the trans. AFAIK there were no column V8s because of something to do with the shifter on the lower end not being suitable for a V8. It may be possible to make it work, which if you have a column auto someone has done a fair amount of engineering to make it work as it should.

Jaso74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore Ute 5.0
There are some variations in the trans. AFAIK there were no column V8s because of something to do with the shifter on the lower end not being suitable for a V8. It may be possible to make it work, which if you have a column auto someone has done a fair amount of engineering to make it work as it should.
Cool thanks for that . I'm hoping that there isn't anything too far from be a good usable setup trans shifter wise under this thing when I get a look at it shortly .