Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr v6 blowing smoke with a fuel smell to it

Jarrad/vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr berlina
Hi everyone,
Got a problem with my vr v6, when it’s at full operating temp it will blow some smoke on start up from time to time.
It’s got a fuel smell to it, the car runs a little rich, sometimes it misfires and sometimes it doesn’t, replaced plugs and leads, fuel filter, coil pack and dfi plate too not so long ago, fuel pumps works (hear it prime and work every time I start it up, the car sometimes stalls when turning hard right when low on fuel, been told it’s a swirl pot issue?
any help would be great cheers fellas

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Smoke, backfiring and fuel smell?

I'd be getting a compression test to rule out head gasket failure to start with.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
O2's can fail without a CEL. Once at op temp they close loop and if they're not playing ball the ECU will just dump fuel to keep things safe. If it's not doing this cold it would suggest this is not something sinister

The turning... run out of fuel... usually means your return line that runs inside the tank to the pot has come off or is degraded

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Could be a FPR if your smelling fuel

Jarrad/vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr berlina
O2's can fail without a CEL. Once at op temp they close loop and if they're not playing ball the ECU will just dump fuel to keep things safe. If it's not doing this cold it would suggest this is not something sinister

The turning... run out of fuel... usually means your return line that runs inside the tank to the pot has come off or is degraded
It’s got a brand new o2 sensor that I put in, when it failed my engine Light came on but it hasn’t since, and yeah I’ve been told about the return hose, if I was to replace it what new hose should I use?

Jarrad/vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr berlina
Smoke, backfiring and fuel smell?

I'd be getting a compression test to rule out head gasket failure to start with.
Alright where abouts would I go to get a compression test mate?

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator.

You can do the compression test yourself, it would be on here somewhere how to do it.