Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 Bypass hose leaked.

Tribble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 ute
Hello guys n' girls.

So last night I had the most fun in my life, I was driving along all nice and calm and then my temp went through the roof, car overheated and the engine shut off.

I got the car towed home and today went to fault find.
Turns out the Bung connecting the intake Manifold to the bypass hose corroded and made the hose disconnected, losing all coolant.

Now for the question(s)
I have ordered new parts (Bung and hose + Clamps)
The Engine still turns over (tested for <5 seconds this morning.)
Oil looks good still, no gunk.

What problems could I expect with such a rapid and violent overheating issue?

I mean, once I replace the faulty parts and replace the coolant, what should I be looking out for, for potential damage to other components?

Short history:
A few months ago, the Radiator had a crack in it. I replaced the water pump, Radiator and upper and lower hoses.
Then the Thermostat Gasket blew, so I replaced that.
Now the bypass hose blew, I am guessing as that was now the weakest pressure link.

I am very worried about having damaged the block or something major.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Worst case scenario warped heads but I'd hope not! I'd say it will be okay you really need to cook it good for that to happen, u might find the water pump was running dry and could be nackered

Tribble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 ute
Well, I won't be able to get the parts until Wednesday, No Auto shop had the bung so I have to go to the Holden Dealer to get it $17 includes O-ring. and new hose + clamps $14.

I really cannot afford a major engine failure right now.
Needless I say, after I have flushed and refilled the radiator, I will keep an eagle eye out for smoke and check my oil/coolant every day.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
all you can do is replace the faulty part, put coolant in it, check for leaks and hope for the best.

Tribble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 ute
Am I correct to assume that on these old engines, both the block and the head are both Iron?

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
yes, both iron, I think.
While you are replacing that insert you might as well do it with a brass one. My local Moto has them so they're not difficult to find. Also be aware that there is an identical plastic fitting in the back of the inlet manifold that carries a heater hose. A bit more fiddly to get to but you might want to replace that one too.

Tribble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 ute
I called around a few places but nobody had the bung at all, the only place I could find it was with the Holden Dealership, I asked about a Brass one, but I am guessing that because it is aftermarket, they would not have it :)

I think for now, I will just replace what is broken so as to ascertain if there is any damage done to the engine, then next month I will take it for it's service and have my Mech mate do a better inspection.

I will need to replace a few things soon anyway, the Power Steering pump is noisy but not leaking..

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I had a choice of plastic or brass at my local Moto (formerly Autopro). The plastic one charges the O ring comes separately for an extra charge. The brass one includes the O ring. Still costs more for brass but not too much. I know people get em at Bursons too but we don't have a Bursons

Tribble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 ute
Well it was $17 for the bung and O-ring so not too much.

The closest AutoPro here in W.A. is about 25km away.

I think once I have replaced the part and if there is no sign of damage, I might just go and replace every single hose I can. I think the overheating could affect any new hoses already replaced, so it might be a good idea.

My mate gets everything at trade with Veales Autoparts, so it's shouldn't be too expensive, example, my waterpump cost $25 :) only issue is their store is over 30km from me hehe a 60km round trip to save a few $$ for these parts isn't worth it.

Tribble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 ute
just thought I would post to say it doesn't appear any damage was done.

tough old car :p