Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR V6] code 33, MAP sensor high voltage & missfiring

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Plug gap should be 1.5 mm.Try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes.This will clear the error code.Go for a drive (15 20 minutes) and see if the error returns.It might be a one off error which can sometimes happen,if your lucky.You could also try borrowing a coil from a mates car and swap it with each of your 3 coils one at a time, just to make sure its not one of the coils causing the misfire.I would replace the 3 at the same time,especially if they have the cylinder numbers on them,which means they are the original coils.If you do have to replace them,try to buy genuine holden ones.

Last edited:

Fenners

Fenners
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Berlina Wagon
yeh plug gap and coils is a good place to start, also make sure that the vacuum line is still connected to the engine and map sensor.

Fenners

Fenners
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Berlina Wagon
also if the vacuum line is off it can give ruff idle which could be a mistaken as a misfire.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
i did the coil pack switch thing with a new coil pack, all of them check out ok. no difference to idle with the new one in. ill check plug gaps, can someone explain where the vacuum/map sensor is? maybe some pics with highlights?

EDIT: did the ECU reset too, ive yet to check the error codes again.
EDIT2: just checked error codes and the code 33 doesn't seem to be coming up now, just got 12 for ages. still missfiring/idling rough.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Set of Feeler gauge supercheap mate.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
thanks ill look into that. can someone tell me how to/where the vaccum hose is that goes in the MAP?

Easiest to start at the MAP sensor and follow the hose back. If it's not connected then look for the nipple, which will be on the elbow into the inlet manifold just downstream of the throttle body.

The MAP sensor is mounted on the firewall, LHS of the ngine bay. Green plug with three electrical pins in it.