Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 - Electrical Issue

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
G'day guys,

I'm having some issues with my VR Series II V6. The other day my alternator died and because it was the weekend I went to a wreckers and picked another one up; put it in and there was no worries at all. However this morning when getting into the car for work I noticed the battery light was on, but when I turned the car over the battery light turned off and doesn't light up on the 30 minute drive to and from work. (when the car is turned off the battery light is on, when the car is turned on the battery light is off). I've tried recharging the battery; topped it right up after a good 15-18 hour charge and the issue still happens.

Because the battery light is off when the car is running I assume it's not the alternator. I bought a new battery about a month ago and I'm confident it's fine, too.

what do you guys think? I reckon i'll have to head down to a car shop to have the battery tested anyway so I'll do that tomorrow

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
so when the keys are out of the ignition the battery light is on?

it will come on with ignition on, engine off, as a warning light check.

have you checked the voltage, to see if it is actually charging or not?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
it's not a battery light, it's a controlled by the alternator to indicate a faulty charging system.
sounds like a faulty regulator in the alternator, it should be off when the keys are out.
should only be on when a) the alternator is faulty and isn't charging with the engine running, B) when you turn the ignition on and the engine isn't running.

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
just checked the volatge;

not running 12.2
running 13.97

time for a new alternator based on that

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
As far as I know the light should be on when the key is turned on reds and go off once started.

One would think there is a fault somewhere if it is on when the key is not in the ignition. If the alternator was installed properly then there should be no issues.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
elementz, dont replace that alternator!!!! those voltages are fine. i have the level 3 dash and my idle voltage can be anywhere between 13.5 and 14.2 volts. that is the standard range from memory. its higher while idling because it has to overcome the drain all the electrical accessorys put on the battery. its basically a float state. it will get your battery up to specific level(not sure what it is) and then run the rest of the car off the power the alternator puts out

i know i will probably get shot for saying this but if you start your engine and then disconnect the positive lead from the battery your car should still run if you leave all the smaller wires connected to the positive clamp. i know that it worked on my old car. bush mechanic trick to test alternator

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Your alternator is fine the battery light will come on during the starting stage once the car is running and the light comes on then you have a problem