Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR v6 Engine Noise

jono1492

DTD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega
hey guys, I don't know a lot about cars, but I'm tying to learn, so bare with me.

Basically, about a week ago my engine started to make a ticking noise when I accelerated, it wasn't too loud and a mate suggested it may be the lifters, over a few days of regular use it got excessively loud(to the point where it practically drowned out the engine), a couple of days ago I did an oil change and flushed it with oil cleaner and used lifter treatment but there was no change. I thought it may be a manifold leak, but before I could look more into it it started making a really bad, kind of loud rattling noise(It's hard to explain wjhat it sounds like). It's a fairly harsh noise but I can only hear it when idling and it gets louder when steering while moving slowly.

I'm a bit concerned as I've been in and out of the mechanic and spent a fair bit of money to get it running good, before this there were no signs of damage and it had been running great.

Any help would be awesome, cheers

EDIT* I got the RAC to have a look, and he diagnosed it straight away as the front pulley, took the drive belt of and no noise, so my next question would be, where can I get a front pulley, for how much and is this something I can do myself? cheers

Last edited:

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
if its louder while steering i would look at the power steering pump and see if its leaking and/ or if the noise is coming from it. where in the engine is the noise coming from?

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
could be your big ends rattling.. hopefully for you it isnt, i would get your oil pump checked out asap (oil pressure test) because if it is the pump thats broken oil wont be circulating and it will wear out the shells in the big end pretty quick. If you keep driving it and that is the problem you will end up with a rod through the block..
Hopefully for you its just a blown exhaust manifold gasket, any rattles coming from the engine bay need to be addressed asap.. the longer they rattle the worse the problem will get until the engine goes bang!

jono1492

DTD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega
if its louder while steering i would look at the power steering pump and see if its leaking and/ or if the noise is coming from it. where in the engine is the noise coming from?

Ive just had all the power steering replaced, but it has been using a lot fluid fairly quickly, so that's a possibility. cheers

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
You can get a short piece of garden hose and use it like a stethoscope from your engine to your ear and locate exactly where the noise is loudest or coming from, (then take 2 asprins and if the pain persists........)

Seriously, do it and get back to us! Just be carefull not to loose a finger in the drive belt at the front!

jono1492

DTD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega
could be your big ends rattling.. hopefully for you it isnt, i would get your oil pump checked out asap (oil pressure test) because if it is the pump thats broken oil wont be circulating and it will wear out the shells in the big end pretty quick. If you keep driving it and that is the problem you will end up with a rod through the block..
Hopefully for you its just a blown exhaust manifold gasket, any rattles coming from the engine bay need to be addressed asap.. the longer they rattle the worse the problem will get until the engine goes bang!

I wont be driving it fort a few days and i'll be getting it to a mechanic asap, just like I said, don't have a lot of money to keep throwing at my car. But cheers for your input

jono1492

DTD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega
You can get a short piece of garden hose and use it like a stethoscope from your engine to your ear and locate exactly where the noise is loudest or coming from, (then take 2 asprins and if the pain persists........)

Seriously, do it and get back to us! Just be carefull not to loose a finger in the drive belt at the front!

sounds simple, haha. I'll definitely take some time a give it a good look/listen over tomorrow, and post my findings. cheers

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride

Can also use a long screwdriver or extension bar, The above is good advice will give you a better idea of where the noise is coming from.

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
Ive just had all the power steering replaced, but it has been using a lot fluid fairly quickly, so that's a possibility. cheers

If it is still using a lot of fluid, then it will only be going all over the engine or down to the ground!

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
Can also use a long screwdriver or extension bar

I reckon, for a novice, a screwdriver or extension bar through the ear hole into the brain when it hits a moving part is not too helpfull!