Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 Flex plate/Torque Converter noise.

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, 2015 Daytona 675R
Hi all, been chasing a solid vibration in my car for a long time now. I have previous thread outlining all the issues and parts I have replaced.

Had the car in the mechanics today, was going to get another set of engine mounts put in as suggested from another mechanic who said they were causing my issues.

Bloke calls me up after having the car for 10 minutes and says it's not my engine mounts, they're fine. Called round in my smoko and he reckons he's found the source of my vibration either the Flex plate or the Torque Converter. Engine runs perfectly still, had the car up on the hoist and we felt the sump, had a slight vibration which you would expect from a normal running engine. Felt around the engine mounts and the K-frame no worries here either.

Put our hand on the transmission pan and the vibration was worse, could also feel the same vibration when grabbing hold of the tailshaft after the extension housing. I could also hear this noise coming from where the Flex plate and Torque converter are. It's definitely not the engine. I have a short video of the noise.

Transmission mount is new, and the Torque Converter came with my recon transmission. My mechanic called up a transmission shop and they have heard of issues with warping and cracking of the Flex Plate causing a vibration.

I really don't think it's the Torque Converter as the vibration goes away when revs are increased.

Opinions before I bite the bullet and replace the Flex Plate?

[YOUTUBE]CEd8_ZS9oEE[/YOUTUBE]

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Mine has been doing exactly the same for the last year, exact same symptoms too vibration on trans pan and tailshaft yokes etc when feeling around.

I had my flexplate replaced last week which ruled that out, so has to be torque converter/trans I reckon.

Will have to work together on this one......I have been dying to get it sorted.

Everything you have said has been happening right down to the noise etc, so I have ruled out flexplate on mine.

I am trying a full trans flush/service tomorrow, I doubt it will make any difference but its due for one anyways.

I have replaced just about everything else on the car trying to sort the issue, and yes I can confirm its not an engine related issue, it has to be torque converter back.

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is yours original trans and converter?

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairly sure original trans, not sure about the converter though, I assume it would be original.

Have you tried unbolting the converter, pushing it back into the housing then starting the engine?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yeah....took 90% of the vibes away

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Vibrations caused by a warped, loose or out of balance flex plate wouldn't go away when rpm was increased.
If anything I'd expect it would get worse.

Is it always the at same intensity at idle or does it feel smoother some times?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
vr transmissions did have a fault with the pick up valves known to collapse , I had mine replaced when I had a vr , maybe that's your problem. You be better of getting a reco trans.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
vr transmissions did have a fault with the pick up valves known to collapse , I had mine replaced when I had a vr , maybe that's your problem. You be better of getting a reco trans.

I have also heard of this problem......it explains the symptoms.

Not much else left to try besides investigating into this further.

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vibrations caused by a warped, loose or out of balance flex plate wouldn't go away when rpm was increased.
If anything I'd expect it would get worse.

Is it always the at same intensity at idle or does it feel smoother some times?

Vibration never goes away, it can be worse and the noise coming from the flexplate area is more pronounced on cold starts.

After work last night I did go into the trans shop that my mechanic rang up, the guy said it does feel like somethings out of balanced but thought it could be the exhaust. Called a guy over who worked at the exhaust shop next door and he said it's not your exhaust, but thought it was my Aircon compressor.

So I started her up this morning with the belt on, vibration is still there. So that rules out my air con compressor