Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 Flex plate/Torque Converter noise.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Vibration never goes away, it can be worse and the noise coming from the flexplate area is more pronounced on cold starts.

After work last night I did go into the trans shop that my mechanic rang up, the guy said it does feel like somethings out of balanced but thought it could be the exhaust. Called a guy over who worked at the exhaust shop next door and he said it's not your exhaust, but thought it was my Aircon compressor.

So I started her up this morning with the belt on, vibration is still there. So that rules out my air con compressor

I have tried all this mate.

I have tried so far over the last year:
* overhauled entire ignition system
* compression test
* vacuum test
* inlet manifold gaskets
* IAC/TPS
* A/C Compressor Belt
* Ran with exhaust off
* ran with all belts off
* removed rocker covers to check all valves operating
* replaced all mounts
* replaced harmonic balancer
* replaced flexplate

The fact that the vibration is worst when touching the transmission pan and extension housing has basically narrowed it down to something transmission/TC related

And yes the vibration never goes away, at idle it shakes the car around, and is worst between 1000-2500 RPM at high RPM it is less noticeable. (and before anyone says anything tyre/driveshaft related this is in neutral when stationary too)

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
A previous owner disconnected the balance shaft?

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
V8's should be pretty vibration free refined if they're running right.
I was referring to the OP's V6.

That being said, if your engine management system is playing up, they'll feel coarse at idle. V6 in particular. Enough to make you think something was out of balance. You could look into searching for tiny leaks in vacuum hoses (engine or brake booster).
The earths for oxygen sensors at the connections and on the engine. Check all of the engines sensors connections are clean and secure. Even on the back of the ECU.

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, 2015 Daytona 675R
I'd be replacing the Torque Converter if I was you mate. My list is just as extensive:
  • Engine & Trans Mounts
  • IAC, TPS, MAP, IAT, Coolant Temp, Crank, Cam Sensors
  • Coil pack & DFI
  • Plugs, Leads, Belt, Air filter
  • All Fuel and vacuum hoses
  • Fuel Pump, filter and Pressure regulator
  • Injectors
  • Harmonic Balancer
  • Center Bearing & Uni joints
  • Engine and Trans are recon
  • Full exhaust system
  • Water & Power steering pump

If I've missed something I've probably replaced it. Only thing that's left is the original Flex plate. I was just doing a little research on the subject, I've read that rotating the Torque converter to the next bolt hole in the flexplate can stop vibrations.

I was also thinking about when I installed the Trans to the engine, because I was doing it by myself, I use the bolts to pull the engine and trans together. Wondering if I may have caused a misalignment?

V8's should be pretty vibration free refined if they're running right.
I was referring to the OP's V6.

That being said, if your engine management system is playing up, they'll feel coarse at idle. V6 in particular. Enough to make you think something was out of balance. You could look into searching for tiny leaks in vacuum hoses (engine or brake booster).
The earths for oxygen sensors at the connections and on the engine. Check all of the engines sensors connections are clean and secure. Even on the back of the ECU.

No codes, I've had the car in several mechanics and an auto electricians. No one could find any faults in how the engine is running. All voltages to sensors are good. I've tried a different ECU, Memcal (Currently using a tuned Memcal from The1.) and brake booster no difference. The engine sits very still, I could put a glass of water on it and not spill a drop.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
The whole car vibrates when idling at 700 rpm, it's not a consistent vibration tho, i can stop at some lights and it will vibrate, drive off stop at another set of lights and it will be perfectly fine.

Stopped at the traffic lights that arvo and it was idling perfect, no vibrations or anything. Came back when I stopped at the next set of lights.

Had a look at your previous thread. It's changed now and does it all the time?

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had a look at your previous thread. It's changed now and does it all the time?

Guess so, it's never fully gone away always had a vibration. It can seem to get better or worse, I can stop at one set of traffic lights and it can be average at best, the next set it will be worse. It's always there tho.

9C1pack

Reaction score
The torque converter has 2 sets splines that have to be lined up. When you install the converter, you push it back into the splines until it bottoms out, and then rotate the torque converter back and forth while pushing it, until the second set line up and the torque converter goes back fully.
You said "I use the bolts to pull the engine and trans together. I Wondering if I may have caused a misalignment?"
If the torque converter was not seated into the second set of splines, it would hang out further preventing the trans from mating up with the engine without using the bolts "to pull the engine and trans together?
Perhaps this damaged the torque converter and this is the cause of your problem?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Does yours also do a cyclic vibration (e.g it goes on and off every half a second if you held it at say 1500 rpm)

Most of my vibration comes through the seats and the steering wheel when revved in neutral or driving.

It's driving me insane to the point where I no longer enjoy driving the car.

Has myself and mechanics stumped.....

p.s just finished the full flush & fluid change of the trans, no difference....not that I expected there to be.

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does yours also do a cyclic vibration (e.g it goes on and off every half a second if you held it at say 1500 rpm)

Most of my vibration comes through the seats and the steering wheel when revved in neutral or driving.

It's driving me insane to the point where I no longer enjoy driving the car.

Has myself and mechanics stumped.....

p.s just finished the full flush & fluid change of the trans, no difference....not that I expected there to be.

Not really, only at idle. I don't like taking anyone else in my car because It's embarrassing :(