Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr v6 oxygen sensor

python_hunter1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
hi all i have an early 93 vr v6 and need new oxy sensor. auto parts store dont have a listing for 93 vr. is the vr a 2 wire and is it the same as a vp sensor?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah,VR is 2 wire.The 4 wire heated oxygen sensors were introduced with the early VS models.

MrWooFarkinHoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exec BT1
Replaced mine a couple of weeks ago in my VR and it was 4 wire - mine only had one where i believe ecotec has 2 sensors? Mine definitely 4 wire in VR '94 model

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yip vr is 4wire heated sensor theres heaps on ebay

python_hunter1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr
yeah just got off my lazy ass and had a look. i get them at trade price of $35 :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I always thought they were 2 wire,well there you go.Something else learnt.Must be the VP that has the 2 wire sensors.

Last edited:

Stugdum

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute
It usually depends on where the sensor is mounted as to whether it is 2 or 4 wire. The 4 wire ones from VR onwards I think) were mounted further down the exhaust system (roughly near the transmission) and that is the reason they need to be heated, because they are too far away from the manifold to heat up quick enough. The 2 wire ones were used on the earlier V6's from about VN's to VP's (I think , but dont quote me on it) and were mounted in the manifold, where they heat up almost immediately on start up, being very close to the exhaust ports. Having said that though, I have a VR which has the earlier VN manifolds (done by me to overcome the cracking problem in the later VR cast manifolds) and all I did was extend the wires and put the original 4 wire one in the manifold. They are exactly the same thread and it wont hurt it, mine has run fine like that with no problems for over 12 months now. BUT BE WARNED, dont do it the other way around i.e. putting a VN 2 wire sensor into a VR exhaust system, because it will be too far away from the heat source, and cause cold starting problems and run poorly till it heats up. Hope this helps.

Stugdum