Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr v6 slight miss at idle

94vrcaprice

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
99 wh caprice
i have a vr caprice and at idle there is a slight miss the revs fluctate about 100 to 200 rpm just wondering if anyone has had the same issue when driveing the engine runs fine never misses a beat and the miss is there with the air con on or off all help would be great

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
idler pulleys ok? hows your spark plugs and leads? changed fuel filter lately? Cleaned intake?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If the plugs and leads show up fine,then check the coils that the leads run from.If you can borrow a coil from another car,and try it in all the 3 places where your coils are,you should be able to find which one is faulty.Dont worry about the cylinder numbers written on the coils,these coils are all the same and can go in any of the 3 places.They seem to slowly make the engine run worse the older they are.If you find 1 is stuffed,I would be replacing the 3 of them with genuine Holden ones.3 new ones will make a big difference to power and economy.

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My usual method for getting rid of a miss is to gap the plugs down to about 1.0mm instead of the recommended 1.5mm. This allows the spark to jump the gap easier. Cannot harm the engine and costs nothing to do.
And welcome to the forum.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If you have to drop the plug gap to get the engine to idle then theres something not right with the ignition system.The voltages these things run should easily jump the recommended plug gap of 1.5 mm.

94vrcaprice

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
99 wh caprice
thanks guys ive checked the plugs and the gap is 1.5 mm as they are new and new leads as well as for economy i think its good $60 to drive frm canberra to the gold coast im thinking it may be the coil pack after a check to day its on number 3 any idea on how much the coil pack will cost? and thank you for the welcome and replys

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
yeah im also curious on this, one of my coils is a bit dogey, was wondering whether its worth getting the MSD's or just get genuine holden ones

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Never used MSD ones,good brand though.I know the genuine holden ones are pretty good when they are new.You can definitely notice a difference to power and economy.If one is stuffed,and the other 2 are a couple of years old or more,its best to replace all 3.If they have the cylinder numbers on them,they are the originals.New ones dont have the numbers on them.

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
90 bucks each from autobarn I believe. MSD's as well.