Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr v6 splutters at low rev??

Jake.VScommo

Yeaa... About that... Umm
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 toyota 4runner
Hey guys i just bought a vr v6 5speed and have had some issues with it.. It had a bad miss so i replaced the leads plugs coil pack o2 sensor and didnt fix it.
Then all of a sudden the car began crapping itself and losing power and beaking down on me.. It was the alternator.. Although now it has mostly fixed the car, it still has a small issue i will explain in detail as much as i can..
I hav researched this issue but havnt been completely satisfied.
From idle and take off its very spluttery then becomes good wen reving up, then there is a point at around 2000-3000rpm wen accelerating lightly the car will lose all power like spark and/or fuel just shits outs and if the accelerater is held there it just sounds like the key has been turned off while driving. Then wen i either put my foot flat or back off the car will come good again and go..
If i thrash it through every gear it runs fine, and occasionally it will backfire when another gear is shifted. Its really shitting me :\
any help would be awesome
Thanks guys

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Maybe blocked fuel filter or cat?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like a bad coil(s) or bad DFI module - will cause misfire/backfire flatspots or whatever. Also double check plug leads are on correct plugs.

Jake.VScommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 toyota 4runner
Maybe blocked fuel filter or cat?

It has a new fuel filter mate and yea i was planning to take the cat out and gut it if its all blocked up but broke my arm yesterday lol

Jake.VScommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 toyota 4runner
Sounds like a bad coil(s) or bad DFI module - will cause misfire/backfire flatspots or whatever. Also double check plug leads are on correct plugs.

It has new leads and plugs man and i replaced the whole coilpack with another second hand one i was thinking maybe this coilpack isnt in best working condotion either, i will swap it over ago maybe swap a couple coils. Ive also put metho in the tank wen i filled up last i thought maybe there could be a bit of water in the tank?

HTV1900

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown SS VY
checked the leads with a multimeter? u'd have to look up the max ohms in a repair manual sorry.

C4L4IS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR '93 Calais
I had this problem too. I cleaned all my engine sensors, nw crank angle sensor, new fuel filter, cleaned injector wiring tabs, pcv, and replaced map sensor hose.
Go check your map hose, may have a split in it

Jake.VScommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 toyota 4runner
I had this problem too. I cleaned all my engine sensors, nw crank angle sensor, new fuel filter, cleaned injector wiring tabs, pcv, and replaced map sensor hose.
Go check your map hose, may have a split in it

Where would i find that hose mate??

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
if its a v6 then its on the back of the throttle body, and it goes to a little unit on the firewall

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
tps or cas problem? sounds semi related to this as it cuts out completely at a certain rpm and/or throttle position

silly question... have you checked for error codes?