Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 TIMING ISSUE BACKFIRING PREFIRING NO FIRING NO I'M NOT RETARDED.

SSFUNKEL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX 202, VR BT1, VZ SS 6.0 GEN IV
I'll keep it short as possible. I put an engine in from a VP. Changed timing cover put magnet in cam used VR Loom so cam sensor works. Ran fine for a few months and timing went wacko after hitting a bump. Scratched my head wiggled CAS and DFI Wiring and bam ran fine, few months hit driveway hard and reversed drove forward parked and then stalled. Tried to start it chittichittibangbang. (called RAA Har har) So changed CAS (The alloy bracket was knackered and had shaved part of the sensor off) But with new CAS No luck, still won't start. Changed coil DFI + ECU no change, Swapped Throttle body with the 2 sensors, cam sensor, checked Cyl comp all good cept 0% on the especially easy rear one by brake booster. But the sucker will not fire to even run on 5. it pre fires, back fires and no fires. Removed rocker covers everythings Rockin n a rollin. All 6 leads are sparkin + has fuel....:/ I've read something about the coolant temp sensor effecting the ecu….. It's a BT-1 So has a few extra wires but everything by the Ecu is all plugged up. Bring it on Interweb genii. Next i was going to try the MAP sensor....:/ Cheers. Oh Ps. I may be slightly retarded (Like my timing) where does the trans vent hose go besides dragging on the road?

Last edited:

SSFUNKEL

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm sure the Trans vent hose was meant to go onto a line on the drivers side chassis but I can't find anywhere it could go.... So i'll need a good description or a pic of where it plugs up. I found 0 forums and no info in Gregs manual.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just poke the trans breather up as high as you can get it and cable tie it in place if you can't find anywhere to hook it on.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Harmonic balancer pooched? plug wires wrong order?...only things I can think of

SSFUNKEL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just poke the trans breather up as high as you can get it and cable tie it in place if you can't find anywhere to hook it on.
Yeah, that's what I done. Just spunout I can't find where it goes.

SSFUNKEL

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harmonic balancer pooched? plug wires wrong order?...only things I can think of
Changed the CAS Plug as the alloy bracket was broken and figured it may've got caught and yanked on the plug, matched all wires up. All leads are in right order. Fins on rear of balancer all ''looked'' fine. I've taken the **** off like 4 times now (Heaps fun). I'll try swap the MAP sensor if that don't work i'll have to try swap the Balancer, they're over $200 for a new one. Was trying to Avoid that. But it's spinning me out. Hoping it's not a broken wire somewhere. OTW i'm fucked and engine swap it is. **** stripping the loom off an engine in the bay. Cheers for the reply.

fireballv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 1 Berlina wagon
The transmission vent hose on my VS just pokes into a hole in the chassis, I checked that with the other two VS and thats the way it goes
Try checking the sparkplug leads are going to the right plugs very carefully, you might have the coil packs in the wrong order, giving the wrong plugs its suppost to fire